Introducing chicks to our dogs :)

No, if you have been handling your chicks, they won’t die from fear of the dog, but can get scared and injure themselves.

As with anything do it in stages. Arrange the brooder so they can see OUT and have your dog away from the brooder so they can see them before the dog is in their face. Do a couple distant interactions before doing anything closer. Keep them separate until the dog no longer has “aggressive” curiosity.

I would also suggest introducing them BEFORE the chicks can fly. Something darting past their face will activate all their instinct to retrieve.
:goodpost:

Oh my god! Don’t they all! :lau It was shocking the first time my dog realized she couldn’t sit in the chair at the dinner table with her own plate. After all there was an empty seat. She now lays near us on floor and does not bother us during dinner. Takes a little bit of training. Be sure to praise them each time they follow a command and you notice them doing a good job. Dogs innately more than anything else want to please their owners. :)

View attachment 1554245 this is my red heeler "chief" he is only 5months old. I have birds on tie cords, i have mommas with biddies, and birds in pens. He checks on them all and one day will keep predators away. The breed is very loyal and as long as you introduce them slow they usually do fine.
@hillbilly91 Thanks for your reply, and love the photo! ❤
I'm happy to take things as slowly as necessary. We can't predict how the dogs will react, so it will all be very controlled.
They don't bother with my neighbour's ducks, but I'd never assume the same for the chicks. ;)

Hello! First and foremost- Welcome to BYC!

Secondly:
Yes! You can absolutely do this. I have 4 medium sized dogs and they were fully grown when introduced to my chicks. My chicks were about 2 months old before the introduction to the dogs. My chickens were scared at first... but a week or so later- the chickens loved the dogs! You said your dogs don’t bother ducks? Then I’m sure you’ll have great success! I’d start out introducing them maybe 30 minutes at a time (supervised of course) with the dogs and see how it goes.
Wishing you luck! :fl

Also I have a mini Aussie that killed a wild quail in my front yard, but, after careful introduction with my latest chicks, he is completely fine around the chickens off-leash. Good luck, sounds like you have a great plan.

If you have time, work on leave it command. You can google “leave it command for dogs” and you’ll get some methods and it’s a super invaluable tool. I think the quail would thank me now. ;)

What breeds, ages are the dogs ? most breeds have to be trained to interact with birds
and excited can kill
Cooper is a 4-year-old chocolate lab, and Ziggy is an almost 3-year-old hound/lab mix.
I wouldn't let them free to approach the babies; theirs will definitely be slow introductions. I planned to crate them near each other to start off, because they'll absolutely be curious and excited.

Back
Top Bottom