Introducing chicks to the dog and cat!

garden chick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
California
My chicks are 3 weeks old and I gave them some "outside time" yesterday as the weather was very warm and I feel like they are cooped up in their brooder! They got to meet the dog and the cat. Our golden retriever Bolt was very curious and excited, but the cat was nervous (and made me nervous!) We held her collar as she let the chickens walk all around her. Im hoping the cat will get more comfortable, but the dog was great, so partial success! This is my first time having chicks and I hope to have a peaceful backyard. :)

I have a half grown kitten that loves the chicks. I keep the brooder behind a closed door. The cat begs to go in the room and he sleeps on top of the brooder. He seems to be attached to them, but I would never leave him alone with them. Sometimes I open the top when I am in there and the chicks fly up to the sides. The Kitten does not bother them and the chick doesn't seem bothered by the cat. Now if one of my other grown cats sticks his nose in the door, the little roo lets out a warning and all the chicks lay low and stop chirping. It's so funny to watch. It's like the trust the kitten, but not the other 2.

What breed is the white chick in the picture?
Its a Light Brahma, our family named her snowball
tongue.png

I have a half grown kitten that loves the chicks. I keep the brooder behind a closed door. The cat begs to go in the room and he sleeps on top of the brooder. He seems to be attached to them, but I would never leave him alone with them. Sometimes I open the top when I am in there and the chicks fly up to the sides. The Kitten does not bother them and the chick doesn't seem bothered by the cat. Now if one of my other grown cats sticks his nose in the door, the little roo lets out a warning and all the chicks lay low and stop chirping. It's so funny to watch. It's like the trust the kitten, but not the other 2.
Thats perfect that they can grow up together, I bet they will be buddies!
hugs.gif

This is such a cute picture!! Your Light Brahma is adorable!!!
I'm having trouble introducing my chicks to my dog & cats, so I'm seeking the same advice as you. ;)

Back
Top Bottom