Introducing Chicks to the Flock

Amigatec

Songster
9 Years
Jan 31, 2010
Haskell Oklahoma
I have 6 chicks that almost have all their feathers. I have them in a cage in the coop. I plan to use chicken wire to fence off a 4X4 area in the coop and turn the chicks out into it for a few weeks. It will still be a few more weeks before I let them out into the run with the older birds.

I hope I am doing this right.

Here is some good reading on the subject: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

There
are about as many ways of doing this as there are people on this website. Your chickens will let you know real quick if you don't do it right, for them -- if you watch.

Introducing while they are running aroun and while giving everyone treats is one way -- keeps them distracted. If they sleep on a roost, another often used way is to put the new ones on the roost after dark but in the evening; by morning they supposedly are used to the new ones.

You have described a method that is frequently used; usually the time is 4 weeks of being close but separated.

I've never done it, except when a broody hatches chicks, which she does while in with the flock in my coop.

Back
Top Bottom