Introducing chicks weeks apart

Reapers

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2021
We are incubating 3 batches of chicks all a week apart. Ended up with 54 out of 74, not great but happy none the less! Going to introduce the last 18 with the rest in a few days. Hoping no troubles with size difference. First two batches didn't have any trouble they were a week apart. But this second group is quite a bit smaller than the first group. Anyone have any experience with anything like this?
PXL_20220416_013736150.jpg

If I'm understanding you correctly, you will be placing day olds in with chicks that may be what? 3 to 4 weeks old?

Yes, I do have troubles when the littles are in with much older chicks as often the older chicks chase the littles.

Sometimes it works, if you have rather chill breeds. Other times the littles are really harassed.

I prefer not having my littles constantly chased, so I delay integration until the littles are grown a bit more.

LofMc

We are incubating 3 batches of chicks all a week apart. Ended up with 54 out of 74, not great but happy none the less! Going to introduce the last 18 with the rest in a few days. Hoping no troubles with size difference. First two batches didn't have any trouble they were a week apart. But this second group is quite a bit smaller than the first group. Anyone have any experience with anything like this?View attachment 3064813
I introduced my 2 week chickens to a day old chicken but there was only 1 one day old to 6 2 weeks and they are getting along well...I was a little worried also

If I'm understanding you correctly, you will be placing day olds in with chicks that may be what? 3 to 4 weeks old?

Yes, I do have troubles when the littles are in with much older chicks as often the older chicks chase the littles.

Sometimes it works, if you have rather chill breeds. Other times the littles are really harassed.

I prefer not having my littles constantly chased, so I delay integration until the littles are grown a bit more.

LofMc
They will be 8 days, the others 21. Hoping introducing them younger will be easier.

I'm struggling with this also. First timer with chickens soneed all the help I can get. I have 2 chicks who are almost 4 weeks and one chick wh is 2.5 weeks old. I tried putting the younger one in a week ago but the older chicks just constantly pecked so I removed him and put a divider in the brooder. They see and "chatter" through the wire to each other...The youngest is growing fast ( a Bresse) but the other 2 ( brown leghorns) are 3 times his size & now I don't know how/ when I'll be able to put them together. Should I hold off till youngest is a bit bigger/sturdier? Help & advice appreciated.

I'm struggling with this also. First timer with chickens soneed all the help I can get. I have 2 chicks who are almost 4 weeks and one chick wh is 2.5 weeks old. I tried putting the younger one in a week ago but the older chicks just constantly pecked so I removed him and put a divider in the brooder. They see and "chatter" through the wire to each other...The youngest is growing fast ( a Bresse) but the other 2 ( brown leghorns) are 3 times his size & now I don't know how/ when I'll be able to put them together. Should I hold off till youngest is a bit bigger/sturdier? Help & advice appreciated.

Generally best to create your own thread so a reply to someone else's question isn't missed.

But to answer your question...yes, you'll have to wait until the little one catches up a bit. The problem with mismatched chicks is the older will pick on the younger. Since this is a lonely only chick, that makes it doubly a target.

What you did by placing it so the others could see it is excellent. That will make integration better. I should think by the time the Bresse is maybe 6 weeks while the others 8 weeks, you should see more closely matched body size...if not wait until they appear to be a bit more equal and then remove the divider.

Good luck with your flock :)
LofMc

Back
Top Bottom