Mixing chicks one week apart

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
I have hatched out many batches of chicks, and have used the smallest chicks of one batch to help raise the next batch of chicks maybe one or two weeks apart. It helps a small chick not get run over by faster growing chicks, and the new chicks get a chance to learn the ropes of eating and drinking water. The other thing I like about it, is a small chick that may get over looked in one flock becomes a hero in a different flock.
Here is a pic of my latest chicks held back with my new chicks.
halz.PNG

I have hatched out many batches of chicks, and have used the smallest chicks of one batch to help raise the next batch of chicks maybe one or two weeks apart. It helps a small chick not get run over by faster growing chicks, and the new chicks get a chance to learn the ropes of eating and drinking water. The other thing I like about it, is a small chick that may get over looked in one flock becomes a hero in a different flock.
Here is a pic of my latest chicks held back with my new chicks.
View attachment 3675597
Gorgeous. :love

We did it this spring with one two-day old silkie and 3 "giant" three-week old speckled sussex. They lived together just fine for two months, but yep, the orphan learned quick how not to get stumbled over! 😊

silkie and ss.jpg

I had a one week old I put in with 3, 3 weeks old chicks, but what I did was introduce them one at a time in a dark box. eventually combined them. everyone got along.

This year we got eight chicks first, then one week later we got four more. A few of them picked on the newcomers a bit, but we sat with them and kept taking the bullies out when it got too rough. Everything worked out fine after an hour or so, the new babies were eventually accepted.

Funny how mean those little chickies can be sometimes; you wouldn't expect it from a ball of fluff that's only a few ounces!

Back
Top Bottom