introducing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LoreleisMama, Mar 7, 2011.

1. LoreleisMama

LoreleisMama In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    We've had 6 tetra tints for 2 days and just got a few rhode island reds and a plymouth rock today. Some of the tetras seem to be unhappy with their new brood mates. Is there something I can do to make it easier on my little ones? The newbies are only 24 hours old and the others are 5 days. They are doing a lot of pecking at one another. I sat with them for a good 30-45 minutes and reffed the situation and now they seem to be hanging out on different sides of the box. I have them in a 30gal rubbermade container and the have room to be away from one another. Help![​IMG]

2. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Songster

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    treats!! like all over. yogurt, hanging treats mirrors! Just distractors

3. cristy17

cristy17 Songster

What are tetra tints? I've heard of fish called tetra, but not chicks.

4. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Songster

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:Asupposed special breed made for food supply stores some Loghorn mix

5. LoreleisMama

LoreleisMama In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Quote:They are from tractor supply. They are a hybrid that is a high egg producer. White possibly some spots and produce a cream colored egg.

6. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Songster

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    [​IMG] , Lorelei'sMama!

Thanks for making a topic like this one, I was also curious as to how to introduce chicks to one another. [​IMG]

7. cristy17

cristy17 Songster

maybe I'll have to invest in some of them then if our TSC has them.

8. tcbfan5

tcbfan5 Songster

Oct 19, 2008
    Kansas
    Quote:was thinking the same thing...

9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I introduce lots of chicks but never newly hatched to older ones. Mine have to be 3 days old before I put them in with any older ones. And some do fine with little chicks while others do not.
    I try to be vigilant since I have about 6 brooders running all the time with at least 30 chicks in each.
    Right now I actually have 2 Olive Eggers 3 weeks old in with about 30 1 wk old chicks and they are doing great. I seldom put that age difference together. But these 2 girls did not want to move down to the next age brooder with their flock and so I finally gave in and let them go back in with the babies. They basically ignore them and when they sit down most of the babies are all over them.

Another big factor is supplying plenty of room. I use big tubs or 6' water troughs for growing chicks.

10. jswalker

jswalker In the Brooder

Feb 28, 2011
    OTP
    I've been wondering the same thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: