Introducing cockerel to flock of hens

SuperMurshy

Songster
May 13, 2022
I have a young cockerel I will be giving to a friend who has an established flock of ladies only, the girls are all over a year old. The cockerel is only 3 months old right now, how soon is too soon to add him to her flock?

Too soon is probably before 6 weeks, so you're in the clear. Just follow a typical integration process, and he'll be fine. (Put him in a crate or separate enclosure for a few days so they can all see and talk to each other, then turn him loose.)

Too soon is probably before 6 weeks, so you're in the clear. Just follow a typical integration process, and he'll be fine. (Put him in a crate or separate enclosure for a few days so they can all see and talk to each other, then turn him loose.)
x2

Also make sure they have enough space and hiding places so he can escape if they start picking on him :)

My last roo integration was to just cram him right onto the roostbar at about midnight. Morning rolled around and I let everyone out, he settled on a crossbar under the coop. My two older hens decided to pick on this newcomer. The lead hen stood her ground while the subordinate hen ran away. The hen and roo duked it out a bit with the roo ultimately winning. No injuries though. There were a couple additional flairups throughout day one, but by day two, you'd think these birds lived together their whole lives.

I often put in my young birds at 3 months old into the flock of hens. If he does well all depends on the rooster and the hens. If the hens are a bunch of virgins and he doesn't have the confidence, they'll beat him up to cowardness and later bad behavior back towards the hens. If the rooster is confident and the hens been around a rooster before, he'll do good.

The one downside of his age is he should have some flock mates that will be buds with him. That way, he's not the only one going in the pecking order. He'll have someone else to give him rest and company.

I would wait another month, and have a lower roosting place. He will probably stay there for a week or two, but work his way up. At 4 months, the hormones will be rising to counter those older girls, but the older girls will be slightly bigger still. He will get some lessons, but not abused.

Do know, that not every rooster works out. Some are rotten roosters.

Back
Top Bottom