Introducing different aged chicks

ml143333

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Hi there!

We have 8 chicks that are about 3 - 4 weeks old. We have one Leghorn, 3 Plymouth Rocks and 4 RIRs. They have all been together from the beginning.

Tomorrow, we may be getting 2 Easter Eggs and 1 Black Astralorp. I don't know how old they are yet, but I know they are younger than our first batch.

Should I put them in a separate brooder or will they be okay with the others?

Thank you for your help!

Hi there!

We have 8 chicks that are about 3 - 4 weeks old. We have one Leghorn, 3 Plymouth Rocks and 4 RIRs. They have all been together from the beginning.

Tomorrow, we may be getting 2 Easter Eggs and 1 Black Astralorp. I don't know how old they are yet, but I know they are younger than our first batch.

Should I put them in a separate brooder or will they be okay with the others?

Thank you for your help!
Hi ! and
welcome-byc.gif
If they are within 2 weeks of the older chicks, go ahead , but watch them.
If they are younger, wait until they are a month old and better able to handle
themselves with a bit more size and then introduce them to the rest of the flock.
It sometimes helps if you have 2 cages and set them side by side for day or two
so the chickens can see each other and get used to each other before you
combine them.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Thanks for asking this. I'm raising a dozen chicks right now. I just moved them from the little chick brooder to the dog crate brooder. So now I want more chicks!
jumpy.gif
This is my first time raising chickens, and I can't believe how much I enjoy them. But since eventually all of them must flock together, I wondered about introducing chicks of different ages to one another.

Back
Top Bottom