introducing Dogs and Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fxchick, Jun 4, 2007.

1. fxchick

fxchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have new chicks coming and I am wondering if anyone can give me advice on introducing the dogs to the birds, my old dog wouldn't stand for such a thing but my current hounds are pretty gentle and our space kind of requires that everyone get along,

2. annp

annp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    My dog would definitely kill a chicken, but my rooster attacked her one day when she was innocently standing near a chicken. Now, if you even say "chi..." to her, she turns pale and starts looking over her shoulder nervously for the rooster. I introduced her to my baby chicks the other day, though and when one hopped, she lunged at it and tried to snap it up. I'd be very careful trusting a dog around chicks, ditto, of course, for cats.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  3. fxchick

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm not sure how I managed it but my cat is actually a chicken lover -- when I went out to feed in my big yard in Colorado he would insist on going too (he'd even hop the fence if I didn't open the gate for him. He'd drink a little water and eat a few nibbles of corn and lay down and take a dirt bath with the girls.
    We had lot's of space there and I could keep the dog way far away (Ezra was a sweet dog -- unless you were a chicken) -- since we are tighter quarters now I am hoping we can make chicken lovers of Spanky and Ginger too

4. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    My black lab listened very well, when I'm right next to her, but given the opportunity, she would play with those chicks like they were little tennis balls! The cat on the other hand, definitely wants to make lunch out of them vs. play with them, however, she isn't any more than about 6 pounds, she was the runt so I'll re-introduce her when the chicks are the same size, then she'll have a different attitude [​IMG]

5. gauthierpeeps

gauthierpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2007
    Draneville, Georgia
    In our experience which isn't much. Our 3 month old chicks like for our dogs to come out and greet them throughout the day. Of course the coop is surrounded by small chicken wire and no one gets in or out. But the dogs and chicks play chase around the three sides. It is actually quite amusing to see the interaction. I find myself wanting a web cam to see all of it. So, hopefully my DH will get right on that request.

GG

6. fxchick

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    te toa sk something so dumb, but I've seen other people use it and I don't know what DH means -- Dear Husband?

7. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    DH is dear husband or [email protected]*n husband depending on the moment [​IMG]

As far as the dogs go, start with them on a leash and see how it goes. We taught our dog "leave it" which means -turn your head and walk away- and it's been pretty helpful. She's still pretty young and getting better and better around the chickens every day. I think the key for her has been supervision and when she starts getting unruly, playtime is over. Plus treats when she's doing the right thing.

A word of caution though, dogs can injure or kill a chicken even if they're not being malicious. Their play behaviors and their size demand supervising until you're SURE they can be trusted.

8. Andrew1982

Andrew1982 New Egg

Jul 8, 2010
    the first day I brought my chickens home as ready to lay's 28 weeks old my dog advanced on them, and they didnt tolerate it, they put her in her place, and now she can go into the coop its self, and lays down quietly,

9. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    an acquantance of mine hatched some chicks in the yard and the dh was out with the lab, turned around and ALL the chicks were gone, no evidence they ever existed. all dogs are different. my dog isnt big enough to swallow a chick whole

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I had received some chickens from my sis and their legs were tied and they were lying in the yard. This was the first opportunity my young dog had to meet chickens. I just schooled him with a stern voice and a scruff shake whenever he looked intently at the chickens or advanced towards them. Then I allowed him to come to me when I had one on my lap, let him sniff it and lick it...then I let it do the same to him...WHAM! Pecked on the nose! [​IMG]

Its been four years but that lab mix, high prey hound won't bother a chick or chicken, even if you put one in his mouth! I know...I've tried. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by