Introducing dogs & rooster problem

Finge

Chirping
Dec 30, 2016
My mini dachshunds had a litter, we can't seem to sell the three males, and it seems we'll be stuck with them for a while. Their father has recently killed 4 of my pullets/cockerels, and I want these three to live peacefully with my flock. The pups are currently 9 weeks old, and their first introduction to one of my pullets was getting pecked on the head. I was wondering how to introduce the puppies to the rest of my flock.

Another problem is my rooster, it's not the typical aggressive rooster, it's actually quite the opposite. He's terrified of me, and when I enter the chicken yard, he's on the other side eyeing me. I've done nothing to this rooster. He's a polish roo, by the way. I plan on getting him his own flock of polish girls, and separating him from my older RIR roo, whom chases the poor thing around the yard. I can't grab this rooster at all. He doesn't sleep with the rest of my flock, and sleeps in the tree in the yard, where I can't get a hold of him, is there anyway to make him less flighty?

Dachshunds tend to have a very high prey drive, and are very difficult to maintain around fowl. An electric fence around your pen will rapidly teach them to stay away from the chickens. The rooster is a problem which is added to by the older rooster continually attacking him. His entire focus is now upon escaping attack and will remain there as long as he is being attacked.

The only problem causing dachshund is the father, whom kills them. I know the prey drive is something fierce in them, but I have a female that won't bother them, and has accidentally killed a day old chick from playing with it, but won't bother them once they start showing feathers.

For Syde(my skittish boy), I should try and separate him from the others? I'm planning on getting some silkie/a polish hens/pullets soon, should I put him and those together after quarantine so he won't go back to the rest of the hens?

Back
Top Bottom