Introducing Duckling to Duck

ACDKMT

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
CA
Long story short my drake passed away leaving my Duck all alone. I tried getting her a new friend but she rejected that idea. Now i got her a baby and she likes it and isn't aggressive towards it. Only thing is i have 2 problems. One she is still broody from sitting on eggs so all she wants to do is sit in her house and talk to the duckling rather then show it what to eat where to drink or keep it warm under her.
2nd problem is the duckling just wants to explore everywhere and gets aggitated when i leave it's sight.
The duckling likes my duck and will go to her and talk but when im there im all it wants and i just got it today from the feed store.

So what do i do to get my duck to stop being broody and be more motherly, if i can? I realize she may not take it as her own but i know at least she doesnt attack it or harm it.

As for the 2nd problem i feel as though that'll change over time. Currently to help the duckling i have it under a heat lamp in a big tote with food and little water so it cant swim, in case anyone was wondering.

Long story short my drake passed away leaving my Duck all alone. I tried getting her a new friend but she rejected that idea. Now i got her a baby and she likes it and isn't aggressive towards it. Only thing is i have 2 problems. One she is still broody from sitting on eggs so all she wants to do is sit in her house and talk to the duckling rather then show it what to eat where to drink or keep it warm under her.
2nd problem is the duckling just wants to explore everywhere and gets aggitated when i leave it's sight.
The duckling likes my duck and will go to her and talk but when im there im all it wants and i just got it today from the feed store.

So what do i do to get my duck to stop being broody and be more motherly, if i can? I realize she may not take it as her own but i know at least she doesnt attack it or harm it.

As for the 2nd problem i feel as though that'll change over time. Currently to help the duckling i have it under a heat lamp in a big tote with food and little water so it cant swim, in case anyone was wondering.
is she still sitting on eggs? how long has she been broody? how I broke mine was I gave my Muscovy 2 fake goose eggs let her sit the whole length of her brood which was 35 days so day 36 I took both eggs away while she was outside eating when she came back in she stayed inside for that day only, next day she came out was was finished with her broodiness. So if your duck has been broody long enough and is sitting on eggs wait till she goes out go in and remove her eggs. you can even remove the bedding and replace it too. Then bring out the duckling and see if she will begin to warm up to it. Never leave the 2 together with out supervision though. Hopefully your duck will begin to warm up to the duckling maybe not as much as a mama but maybe best friends. Sounds like the duckling is really fond of you. It will take time but if you are patient with them both they will eventually bond. Good for you having the little one in a tote with heat lamp that is what it needs at this point. Don't know if you've seen this but i like to give it to anyone who has a new duckling https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:
Thanks for your response, no she is not on eggs anymore when i went to see her earlier i brought some worms and she ran at me with joy and while she chowed down i removed the eggs and replaced the bedding. Then she followed the new baby and they both went in their house and she sat again and the baby came back to me. Funny thing is when my girlfriend went to say hi my duck chased and attacked her then came to me and sat lol. So i shouldn't let the 2 be together alone yet even though she hasn't tried anything funny with the new baby? Also thanks for the link I actually raised my first duck and drake based off of a similar post.

Thanks for your response, no she is not on eggs anymore when i went to see her earlier i brought some worms and she ran at me with joy and while she chowed down i removed the eggs and replaced the bedding. Then she followed the new baby and they both went in their house and she sat again and the baby came back to me. Funny thing is when my girlfriend went to say hi my duck chased and attacked her then came to me and sat lol. So i shouldn't let the 2 be together alone yet even though she hasn't tried anything funny with the new baby? Also thanks for the link I actually raised my first duck and drake based off of a similar post.
I'd give it tomorrow if your going to be home to watch, it wouldn't take much for an adult to kill a duckling even one that maybe acting nice now can have a change of heart quick. It would just be better to make sure all is going well and of course the duckling needs to be kept warm too. Evidently your ducks sees your girlfriend as an intruder.Hopefully some time together will help that relationship work out. And of course dried meal worms added to the mix will help too.. As far as leaving them together it's up to you of course but if it was me I'd be cautious. Better to be safe than sorry. What breed are we talking about here?

Well my girlfriend and i both raised my duck and she only attacks my girlfriend when broody or the one time she hatched babies. So i find it funny she doesn't trust her while broody. My full grown duck is a muscovy. She's very protective and doesn't like any living thing other then me, my drake that recently passed, most of the time my girlfriend, and now this baby duck i got. Also of course she loved her babies she previously hatched. The baby i got today is a day old female magpie.

I understand what you mean by my duck can change her mood any time and attack the baby so hopefully that doesn't happen. For now only supervised visits.

Well my girlfriend and i both raised my duck and she only attacks my girlfriend when broody or the one time she hatched babies. So i find it funny she doesn't trust her while broody. My full grown duck is a muscovy. She's very protective and doesn't like any living thing other then me, my drake that recently passed, most of the time my girlfriend, and now this baby duck i got. Also of course she loved her babies she previously hatched. The baby i got today is a day old female magpie.

I understand what you mean by my duck can change her mood any time and attack the baby so hopefully that doesn't happen. For now only supervised visits.
I love my Muscovy's but even my most sweetest ducks turn into meanies when brooding, I have one now sitting on 2 fake goose eggs she will pinch the day lights out of me if I stick my hand down into her nest. And another that has never pinched me. You just never know. lol

Good for you with mama duck and duckling post pics when you can I bet that magpie duckling is adorable. Hope they become fast buddies.

The magpie is adorable i really hope my duck takes to her. In the pen since my duck was sitting her grass grew really fast so the baby looks like shes walking through a jungle lol.

The magpie is adorable i really hope my duck takes to her. In the pen since my duck was sitting her grass grew really fast so the baby looks like shes walking through a jungle lol.
LOL Time to get out the weed eater. Keep us updated on how things go between them.

Back
Top Bottom