cnielsen

Songster
Aug 28, 2020
How/when should we introduce ducklings to chickens?
We have 2 ducklings, pippa (golden 300) and poppy (rouen) that we got from tractor supply a little over three weeks ago. they were tiny, most likely less than a week old but were not sure. we estimate they’re 4-5.5 weeks old right now.
They’ve been spending their days outside in a little pen attached to a dog house for about a week now but still spend the night inside in their brooder tub because we don’t have a proper door on the dog house.
We plan on moving them so they can stay in the same duck accommodated coop and pen with our 7 hens and 1 rooster when they are ready.
What is the best way to introduce ducklings to chickens? when should we do that? anything we should be careful of?

If they're males, I wouldn't keep them near hens. They can hurt or kill a chicken trying to breed with them

they aren’t fully feathered but we believe they’re both girls, they have female quacks. if they turn out to be boys we will definitely remove them until we have a good male to female duck ratio :)

I have this same question... I'm a long time chicken keeper but these are my first ducks. I have a big coop/run I'd like to eventually keep them all in. Although they have the fenced off backyard all day to roam. I think my strategy will be to put a little coop in the yard for the ducks so they can mingle outside with plenty of space until they get to know each other. Then after a while let them move into the big coop for nighttime. Wish me luck!

Day 1 of comingling went great! My 3 muscovy ducklings are 7 weeks old and my flock of chickens range from 4 months to 1.5 years. We put their kiddie pool in the big chicken yard, grabbed a couple lawn chairs and hung out back there all day watching. Two of the hens pecked at them a couple times out of curiousity but mostly they left them alone. I think because they didn't view them as a threat and they really didn't know what to make of them haha. Whew! They are sleeping in their own coop until they are bigger and after monitoring them all, I feel they will be safe in the same coop at night. But comingling during the day in the same big yard went great! Maybe something similar would work for you?

Day 1 of comingling went great! My 3 muscovy ducklings are 7 weeks old and my flock of chickens range from 4 months to 1.5 years. We put their kiddie pool in the big chicken yard, grabbed a couple lawn chairs and hung out back there all day watching. Two of the hens pecked at them a couple times out of curiousity but mostly they left them alone. I think because they didn't view them as a threat and they really didn't know what to make of them haha. Whew! They are sleeping in their own coop until they are bigger and after monitoring them all, I feel they will be safe in the same coop at night. But comingling during the day in the same big yard went great! Maybe something similar would work for you?

Sounds like it’s going great, that’s awesome! I think we will try something like that soon. These are our first chickens and ducks on the property, so we’re planning on getting a new, way bigger coop built in soon and I think the ducks will be fully grown and ready by the time it’s done. Currently the ducks haven’t slept outside yet seeing as we don’t have a proper door on their little duck hut. my dad, the builder of the family, works 1 week on 1 week off out of state so sometimes progress is sporadic, and these little duckies are growing so fast! but that plan sounds great, We will introduce them soon in a similar fashion i think, and i’ll post how it goes! :)

Sounds like it’s going great, that’s awesome! I think we will try something like that soon. These are our first chickens and ducks on the property, so we’re planning on getting a new, way bigger coop built in soon and I think the ducks will be fully grown and ready by the time it’s done. Currently the ducks haven’t slept outside yet seeing as we don’t have a proper door on their little duck hut. my dad, the builder of the family, works 1 week on 1 week off out of state so sometimes progress is sporadic, and these little duckies are growing so fast! but that plan sounds great, We will introduce them soon in a similar fashion i think, and i’ll post how it goes! :)
Awesome! Aren't they fun?!

Back
Top Bottom