Introducing ducklings to the flock

samuelsonfarm

Chirping
6 Years
May 27, 2013
I have 2 ducklings who are 6 weeks old, and I am more than ready to have them out with the rest of the flock. We live in Michigan, it I very cold this winter. The ducklings have most of their feathers at this point. What would be a good system for introducing them to the flock? I have a small fenced in coop inside the ducks daytime pen where I could put the babies. They will be able to see each other without being able to pick on them. At what point will there little guys be safe to spend their days and or nights without the heat of out house? I'm anxious to be done with the poop!

The general rule of thumb is 90F the first week, dropping about 5 degrees a week till the temperature in the brooder is the same as the temperature of the outdoors or barn or where they will spend their time.

90 minus 6 times 5 is 60 degrees , so that is the temperature they should have. This advice is from Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, and since the person who wrote it has decades of experience, that carries some weight with me. Ducklings are still developing rapidly at 6 weeks, and to have to spend energy staying warm would, I think, put their development at risk, at least.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. It is definitely not 60 degrees outside....but it is in our laundry room. So maybe I'll start putting their box out there during the day so they can start getting used to some cooler temps. I was mentally prepared for a long winter indoors with them, so that's what it'll be! The ducks are 1 black runner+jumbo pekin and 1 fawn and white runner. The black duck has been quacking for 2 weeks now, so we know she's a girl (woohoo!) and this morning our little fawn and white was quacking too!! Totally worth the mess for 2 females. I'm over the moon excited. I see lots of eggs and ducklings in my future :)
Donna

Glad there's some joy in the household! Having brooded eleven runners after decades of no ducks, it was an immersion experience. whew.

Congrats on the two girls (c:

Back
Top Bottom