Introducing ducklings to young ducks

quackers619

Songster
Aug 21, 2015
fayetteville,ga

So I have two young ducks that are 2 months old and ducklings that are 1 month old, when is a good time to let them run around together? I have put the duckling out side with the other ducks protected by a small cage but I have never had ducks of different ages and want to do it right so anyone with experience please reply. like good age, what to expect. if its going good or not so good. I'm excited but nervous at the sane time....

Last edited:
It looks by the picture they're ready now. Unless there are aggressive behaviors not pictured between those in the cage and those outside of it, I believe they would do okay. That's not to say there won't be an occasional peck or squabble, but that's going to happen regardless of the age. Especially in the pool like you have them, let them be around each other under close supervision and you'll probably be surprised at how well it goes. They're very social animals.

I am not saying to not go ahead and give it a go, I just wanted to second the "under supervision" part. From personal experience, we added a duckling almost mature to our group who had all grown up together and the female did not mind, but the males would constantly chase her off and pick on her so that she would have to stay a few feet away if she wanted to free range with them. It came off as a your not one of us mentality and that was around time we decided due to other "urges" that the males and females would be living separately but could still free range together while we were at home and able to supervise. Just a thought. Could be breed personalities or just quirks of ours but wanted to help.

I just introduced my 8 week old Bantam ducklings to my two Calls and four standard ducks....I did it free ranging and it went great.
I still lock the babies up during the night in the make shift pen that is inside the big duck pen so the big ducks do not over power them or get bossy. All went great with the introduction.
I think your going to be impressed with how well they do...? I would separate the first few times once you put them away.
Mine are almost ready to stay out and it has been two days.

I just introduced my 8 week old Bantam ducklings to my two Calls and four standard ducks....I did it free ranging and it went great.
I still lock the babies up during the night in the make shift pen that is inside the big duck pen so the big ducks do not over power them or get bossy. All went great with the introduction.
I think your going to be impressed with how well they do...? I would separate the first few times once you put them away.
Mine are almost ready to stay out and it has been two days.
I also have two Drakes and they are fine. Free range so the babies can adjust. They wont run away. They will follow the bigger ducks. Easy to heard Ducks..

Back
Top Bottom