introducing ducks and geese to puppies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducks and geese7, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Ducks and geese7

Ducks and geese7 Chirping

Nov 20, 2018
    Gallup, New Mexico
    How to introduce puppies to ducks and geese? I wanted to introduce my flock to my two new puppies I got. I want them to get use to the ducks and not think of them as prey. Any help in training them.

chickengr likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

You also don’t want them to look at them as play things either. What breed of puppy??

sourland likes this.
  3. Ducks and geese7

Nov 20, 2018
    Gallup, New Mexico
    Blue heeler pups, we do have two adult female blue heelers and they don't bother them at all.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

With puppies it’s all about play time So you’ll really have to watch them. Maybe put them on a leash and walk them around where the geese and ducks hang out. But if you geese are like my geese I had to teach them to leave our dogs alone.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  5. Ducks and geese7

Nov 20, 2018
    Gallup, New Mexico
    My geese do not like the pups at all and ducks are scared of them.

Miss Lydia and Kkrista123 like this.
  6. Kkrista123

Kkrista123 Songster

Dec 2, 2018
    Hatboro PA
    My Coop
    Just give the puppies and ducks/geese treats all together. Then they'll really like each other but also ignore each other! Kong for the puppies and mealworms for the ducks and geese, you'll be set for happy animals!

7. Miss Lydia

With puppies they may get a bit aggressive with their treats so you’ll just have to be very vigilant when they are so young. I have a friend who got 2 pups that are suppose to be LGD and she has lost ducks and chickens to those two from puppyhood on up they are over one year old now. It takes A lot of training.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Time..Always monitoring the pups when out with the Birds.

9. Duckiemom524

Duckiemom524 Chirping

Sep 26, 2018
    C55E4C22-B496-426E-945F-47F9BE8686D1.jpeg I slowly introduced my labs to my ducklings. I had ducks in a wire cage to protect from dogs Incase and also so they could be around each other and get use to each other for several days before I let them out together. You may do something like that maybe even vise verse with puppies in kennel and ducks out since they are full grown. Good luck. I attached a picture from when I introduced them.

10. Kkrista123

Kkrista123 Songster

Dec 2, 2018
    Hatboro PA
    My Coop
    I can't help but notice... Is that a mini skating park in your backyard!?

jb1989 and Ducks and geese7 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: