Introducing Ducks to Chickens

coconut120000

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 7, 2013
I have an established flock of six hens, each about two years old and come this spring me and my family have been thinking about getting some ducks. I've read about keeping ducks and chickens together and since I don't want to build another run, I think this is the best way to go. I know all still have to build a small coop for them but I was wondering how do I keeping the chickens from eating the duck food and ducks from eating chicken food? Also any other information on keeping them together would be helpful, Thanks.

The ducks can actually eat the chicken food just fine; you'd just need to supplement with extra niacin. If you really need to keep the feedings separate, try only offering food in the coop (since they have separate coops).

Drakes can injure chicken hens, so you shouldn't have a drake with your chickens.

Ducks are WAY messier than chickens and drink much more. Chickens will not appreciate a muddy run, so it has to be large.
I don't keep chickens (yet) so I can't think of any other major considerations.

Ok I just wasn't sure whether they could eat chicken food or not, Thank you. Also, I have a big run so I don't think it will be a problem, and I'm not planning on getting any Drakes.

I recently put my ducklings in with my older ducks and I was unsure how to keep the feed separated. But someone on here suggested a mix flock feed. Both the ducklings and older ducks can eat it.

I am going to assume you are feeding your chickens some kind of layer feed. If you plan on getting mature ducks at laying age there is no problem feeding everyone the layer feed.

If you plan on getting ducklings it would be a problem. You don't want the ducklings eating layer feed until they start laying. It has too much calcium and not enough protein for a growing duck. Ducklings can be feed chick feed or a mixed flock type feed. Chick feed will need to be supplemented with niacin until they are 10 weeks old.

I currently have ducks and plan to get chickens next spring. My ducks currently get Purina Flock Raiser as they are only 13 weeks old now. I plan to continue to feed them the same food and just supplement with oyster shell when they reach laying age because I believe it meets their nutritional needs better than chicken layer feed would. Also, it will be much easier to have different species of different ages in the coop/run at the same time.

I'm pretty sure we will get them as ducklings and I'll keep them in a brooder till they can eat layer feed.

Ducks topically don't reach laying age till about 20-24 weeks, depending. You will not want to have them in a brooder that long.

Back
Top Bottom