Introducing ducks

xLennyx

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Hello, I have a 4 year old hen that just lost her last friend (used to have 6 hens), so she is rather lonely. I have a friend who is getting rid of two ducks because of fights going on and she wants to give them to me. I've never dealt with ducks before however. How would I introduce these two to my hen? Should I clean out her coop before? I would really appreciate some advice! Thank you!!

they would do fine together, but i would still get your last girl a chicken friend. The ducks will mostly stick together, and won't really bond with your chicken. They can live together, but i wound't expect the ducks and the chicken to become friends and make up for the chicken loosing her buddies. you could maybe try craigslist...i have gotten free older hens as companions, and pullets as well from local people.

Thank you so much for the advice! I will take this into consideration! c:

It really is...but at least they had a great life- considering the fact that most hens do not get the proper care/love. I treated each one as if they were my children..hugs and kisses every night! Haha. I sure do miss them..I just hope she will accept these ducks..she is quite the meany!

It really is...but at least they had a great life- considering the fact that most hens do not get the proper care/love. I treated each one as if they were my children..hugs and kisses every night! Haha. I sure do miss them..I just hope she will accept these ducks..she is quite the meany!
yeah, i love each bird and know all their quirks and personalitys :)
I hope so too...it always seems to be the meanest chickens that survive for some reason...when ever a fox attacks or a sickness is introduced, it is always my fancy expensive show/breeder birds or overly loved pets that are targeted. its annoying. I've got a few hens that have survived quite a bit of chaos, but they have always been the nasty ones that don't want anything to do with me...geee, they think i am their personal slave, lol.

Back
Top Bottom