Introducing full size chicks to Bantam adults???

Keeniebird

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
Puyallup Wa.
I have six chicks that I will be introducing to my 5 adult Bantams when the chicks are of proper age. My question is, is there a key time to do this since the birds will be much larger than my Bantys? The chicks are 2 RIR, 2 SLW and 2 WLH.
smile.png

You will find that age makes a lot more difference than size when you're talking about juveniles and adults. Your bantys might be smaller, but it is still young fowl being introduced to mature fowl. Give them plenty of room at intro time. The youngsters will need it to escape the resentment of the older birds. If you can pen them in sight of each other for a few weeks and do the intros on a free range day, that will help. Good luck.......Pop

Thanks. The brooder box we have is large and one complete side is wire. We planned to put them flush with the run for a while so they could socialize through the fence. My Bantams are very docile birds including the rooster. Hope it goes well. Once they are all together do the new ones usually follow the leader to roost in the hen house at night? Or will I have to encourage that?
Thanks! ;)

Thanks. The brooder box we have is large and one complete side is wire. We planned to put them flush with the run for a while so they could socialize through the fence. My Bantams are very docile birds including the rooster. Hope it goes well. Once they are all together do the new ones usually follow the leader to roost in the hen house at night? Or will I have to encourage that?
Thanks!
wink.png
Depends on how old they are. Without a mother, chicks are sometimes very slow to learn to roost. You may hafta round them up and put them on the roost several times to drive it home. Just plan on being there at dark for a week or so. Good that your bantams are docile. It's the hens you hafta watch. The cock should be fine with them.......Pop

Back
Top Bottom