Introducing Grown Hen - She wants to be the top lady

puddinbabe

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 5, 2007
I am ready to introduce a new hen to my flock of 3. Originally, she had a head wound and I have been getting her back to health. She has been in quarentine and today I put her in with the new girls thinking the top girl would give her a semi-hard time and she would run away. It seems like the new girl may have been queen at her old place. The two went at it like roosters, jumping at each other and pecking. Finally I pulled them apart and put the new girl in a dog crate so the others could see her.

I've introduced 3 hens before and never had fighting, only feather pulling and chasing. I guess they'll work it out, but I don't want either of them to get hurt. Any suggestions aside from the dog crate for a few days?

Anyone else introduce a hen that wants to be at the top of the pecking order?

annie

Very common for this to happen, just let them go at it till a pecking order is established and they will do fine, maybe not the best of buds but they will tolerate each other.

I left mine in chicken jail for a week. When I let her back out I put plenty of scratch out for them so hopefully they will be more interested in the treats than each other. They will have to work it out eventually. My jail bird still did some pecking. I squirted her with the hose if I saw her being really aggressive. She is still a bully but now chases somewhat. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

Back
Top Bottom