Introducing guard goose to new chicks/chickens

JarrattMacRae

Hatching
Jun 26, 2022
I have a guard goose that I raised with a group of chicks, she is a year old and great at taking care of her small flock (just 2 Easter eggers). I have 4 new chicks (they are 4 weeks old now) that I started introducing to the chickens and goose. I put them in a pen next to each other because that’s what I’ve always done with introducing new chickens to a flock. Is this the way to introduce to a goose too? She’s hissed a few times and I’ve only ever heard her do that once (when a raccoon was trying to get in the coop) so I’m a little nervous. Any hints and help would be amazing, thanks!

It may take a little time for the goose to accept the new chickens but you're going about it in the right way. Once you see your goose being relaxed around the new chicks start letting everyone be together with supervision. Since she was brought up with the EE's it's going to take a bit of work to get her to accept the newbies but she will. I'd also start putting the newbies inside the coop with the goose and EE's in a dog crate of something similar so they get use to sleeping together at night.

I had a girl goose, she was raised with meat birds. Later after the meat birds were gone, I put her in the coop with older hens. She would get jealous that they would have babies, and she would take it out on the hens and pull off their combs. I ended up rehoming her to someone who was going to get more geese.

I had a girl goose, she was raised with meat birds. Later after the meat birds were gone, I put her in the coop with older hens. She would get jealous that they would have babies, and she would take it out on the hens and pull off their combs. I ended up rehoming her to someone who was going to get more geese.
Well that wasn't so good.
My female lost her mate of 14 yrs in Feb and she has had a hard time since it was right when breeding season was getting underway. She hasn't hurt anyone but it has taken some time for her to get use to being alone and settling in with the other birds. I moved her out of her house in with the ducks so she wouldn't be lonely. My Missy is pushy and likes to boss the Runners around but last night I didn't put the gate up to separate her from the ducks and she did great. So time and patience has paid off here.

Well that wasn't so good.
My female lost her mate of 14 yrs in Feb and she has had a hard time since it was right when breeding season was getting underway. She hasn't hurt anyone but it has taken some time for her to get use to being alone and settling in with the other birds. I moved her out of her house in with the ducks so she wouldn't be lonely. My Missy is pushy and likes to boss the Runners around but last night I didn't put the gate up to separate her from the ducks and she did great. So time and patience has paid off here.
I don’t have a gander or rooster so hopefully there won’t be any jealousy there. I’ll continue to be patient and put them near each other and find a way to get them in the coop together at night. Thank you for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom