Introducing juveniles to older guineas?

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
I have 4 new guineas, bought as keets and now turning juvenile.
How do I introduce them to my older guineas? My older ones have a good temperament and get along with all other animals in my yard (chickens, goats, cats, etc). What's the best way to do this?

Also, a rather silly question. My guinea fowl easily get out of the fence in the mornings (which is intended because they free range during the day and are put in a secure coop at night), but they can never figure out how to get back in the fence on their own. They run back and forth along the fence until I come and tell them "Go on, get in", then they go in by themselves. All my guineas are like this. Not sure why...

I have 4 new guineas, bought as keets and now turning juvenile.
How do I introduce them to my older guineas? My older ones have a good temperament and get along with all other animals in my yard (chickens, goats, cats, etc). What's the best way to do this?

Also, a rather silly question. My guinea fowl easily get out of the fence in the mornings (which is intended because they free range during the day and are put in a secure coop at night), but they can never figure out how to get back in the fence on their own. They run back and forth along the fence until I come and tell them "Go on, get in", then they go in by themselves. All my guineas are like this. Not sure why...
I have a wire cage that I put in my coop for introducing juveniles. The youngsters go in the cage where the adults can see but not touch them. Once they stop trying to attack the youngsters through the cage, I start releasing the young one at a rate of one per day.

Be sure to have hiding places available so that the youngsters can avoid attacks if necessary.

Do not be surprised if you end up with two separate flocks (adult flock and juvenile flock) for a long time. Depending on the size of the original flock and the make up of the new guineas (males vs females), guineas can be very particular about integrating new members. The easiest integration is female guineas into a predominantly male flock or male guineas into a predominantly female flock.

The hardest integration is what I am currently trying is adding a single male into a pretty well balanced (male to female ratio of nearly 1:1) flock.

I have a wire cage that I put in my coop for introducing juveniles. The youngsters go in the cage where the adults can see but not touch them. Once they stop trying to attack the youngsters through the cage, I start releasing the young one at a rate of one per day.

Be sure to have hiding places available so that the youngsters can avoid attacks if necessary.

Do not be surprised if you end up with two separate flocks (adult flock and juvenile flock) for a long time. Depending on the size of the original flock and the make up of the new guineas (males vs females), guineas can be very particular about integrating new members. The easiest integration is female guineas into a predominantly male flock or male guineas into a predominantly female flock.

The hardest integration is what I am currently trying is adding a single male into a pretty well balanced (male to female ratio of nearly 1:1) flock.
Thank you so much. I have a nice sized crate I could probably use for this. Might also help with introducing my new polish to the flock as well. (Last time I tried, she got a little beat up. Baby steps, and hopefully a better outcome.)

Back
Top Bottom