Introducing me :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HPTheChickenTender, Apr 4, 2019.

1. HPTheChickenTender

HPTheChickenTender In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2019
    Hello

Greetings BYC. I am new to the community. I wanted chickens for about ten years before I got them and finally broke the seal 3 years ago with a small flock of 4. I then hatched a few and bought 5 different breeds from a feed store. Unfortunately, my flock dwindled down to 7 this past year, and my favorite hen (Iggy) was taken by a raccoon, just a few weeks ago.

I currently have 6 laying hens, a rooster, and 30 chicks (3 of the chicks are Iggy’s….because I thought I was hatching Welsummer eggs…but it was a neat surprise)

I have mostly Welsummers and Jersey Giants, but I also have a Buff Orpington and Silver Lace Wyandotte from a hatchery. I have a black sex link that I hatched from my Welsummer rooster and one of my two cuckoo marans.

I wanted chickens for thoughts of “self-sustainability” but their personalities have won me over. I am fascinated at what comes naturally to them and how they interact with each other and their environment.

I have too many other hobbies to list, from classic cars to raising tilapia.

I am in healthcare sales and a doctoral student for public health beginning my dissertation.

I have known about BYC for years and have read several posts. I decided to significantly expand my flock this year and start breeding and wanted to participate in the discussion and engage in the community.

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

3. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :frow Best wishes and have lots of fun! :wee

4. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

5. FlappyFeathers

FlappyFeathers Crossing the Road

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    1byc-colorful-family.png
    hithere.gif Good luck in your breeding program! Hope you enjoy it here at BYC!

6. alexa009

alexa009 Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
  7. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :welcome Nice to have you here!

8. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Please make yourself at home.

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

9. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

10. ClucksAndCombs

ClucksAndCombs Free Ranging

Apr 19, 2018
    New England
    Welcome to BYC!:frow

Feel free to ask questions, there are so many wonderful and knowledgeable people who will answer them :)

Good luck with your flock journey and those 30 chicks! Sounds like a handful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: