Introducing: Me!

moneill100

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2022
Bloomington, IN
Hi everyone, my name is Marie. My partner and I run a diversified vegetable farm in Bloomington, IN and we've had chickens for about 2 years now. We got our chickens from different hatcheries in 3 waves. First we ordered 10 Barred Rock hens and along with them we picked up a rooster from a local woman looking to get rid of him because we figured a rooster would be good protection. A few months later we got 10 more hens, a wider variety including EEs, a Speckled Sussex, Orpingtons, a Cream Legbar, and a Brahma. Then our third wave was a mixture of Salmon Faverolles and Golden Comets. We had thirty birds for a while, until the hawks caught wind of our flock. Soon we were down to 25 and now we're down to 19 after our very first fox attack this week.

I've never owned chickens before, but my partner had some when he was a kid. With this being my first time owning chickens there are definitely still some residual fears I'm working through. I love watching them interact with each other and explore the world at their own pace. I love all of their individual personalities as well, of course!

We got chickens to rotationally graze them and dig up the sod and weeds that existed so that we could turn pasture into garden beds. Of course, we also appreciate their egg production for income aside from our vegetables. We're looking to start supplementing their feed with grains that we've grown, but that's a whole other project. We farm on about 3/4 of an acre and just this past year got an NRCS EQIP grant that allowed us to get 4 high tunnels. The farm is growing fast and every day there's a new learning experience, whether that be with the chickens or with the produce.

Happy to be here finally! Nice to meet you!

Back
Top Bottom