Introducing mixed chicks to a flock of silkies???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenesis536, Dec 9, 2011.

1. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    I have 4 silkies that are 10 months old. I just picked up a mix of chicks/pullets (they are all about 8 weeks old except the frizzle). They newbies are hanging out in their own area for now, but when I put them together with the silkies do you think I'll have a problem? When I had standard breeds they definitely got mad and attacked the newbies, but I'm not sure how bad the silkes will be.

The new ones are:
    1 polish
    1 frizzle
    1 cochin (could be a banty)
    1 ameraucana - haven't looked at the legs yet so could be an ee but has feathers on its feet - the guy said he was told it was an ameraucana/maran cross but wasn't sure... it's super pretty, very fawn color with white, bearded
    1 barred rock
    1 silver-laced wyandotte

They are all about the same size with the frizzle probably being the largest because it is older (about 8 months). She's also the loudest.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    My Silkies don't mind newcomers at all. It's usually the other way around where you find difficulty; introducing Silkies to an older flock.
    Especially if they're all relatively the same size. There may be some pecking-order stuff going on, but that's normal in any flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by