Introducing Momma hen into the flock

I agree that it is less stressful for everyone if momma hatches the clutch while still with the flock but isolated so the others can’t get to her. You can try this next time to see which works best for your flock... there will be a next time because watching a momma hen hatch a clutch is amazing!!
It sounds like you have a plan!

Thank you so much for taking the time to assess my situation. You gave me a lot of valuable information. I currently have a 12 by 14 foot barn style shed that has been customized with 2 large pens on both sides. One side holds momma and her babies the other side hold the 3 week old. They both have seperate exits to one large run. The babies have not been brave enough to venture out into because momma hen scares them. My original flock is in a completely seperate coop with it's one run. I let them out occasionally to free range along with momma hen had her chicks.

Attachments

• 20210521_152928.jpg
    20210521_152928.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210321_183629.jpg
    20210321_183629.jpg
    566.1 KB · Views: 1
Think about that one a minute. That is a common technique when integrating small chicks, but how do you cut a hole the broody hen can fit through that the rest of the hens her size can't? That's a great technique if the chicks are small enough but doesn't work with adults.
Honestly I don’t know the answer to that. I have just seen it posted here before. I could be thinking of the wrong post and I apologize if my information is wrong. I have tried this method when integrating brooder chicks and was able to successfully get it to work. But, you’re right, I don’t know how it would work with a hen and chicks. Maybe if the hen was a bantam it could possibly work.

I agree that it is less stressful for everyone if momma hatches the clutch while still with the flock but isolated so the others can’t get to her. You can try this next time to see which works best for your flock... there will be a next time because watching a momma hen hatch a clutch is amazing!!
It sounds like you have a plan!
Will definitely do it again! Just a little differently🤣

I just wanted to give an update. After a couple days of letting my older flock roam the property together. I took the advice of removing the aggressor. Yesterday while the aggressor was out I put momma hen in the run with my other more docile hen. They got along fine. Once bedtime came I put my aggressor back in and everything went well! Momma hen (Daisy) keeps her distance from Clairabelle (aggressor) and avoids getting to close to her but there has been no attacks or angry squawking.

In my experience with mother hens is that they are formidable foes and the sooner they get put back in with the flock the better. She will protect them from the others long enough that by the time they are weaned, they are accepted as members of the flock.
Sorry for the delay in answering but I was in the hospital all week.

In my experience with mother hens is that they are formidable foes and the sooner they get put back in with the flock the better. She will protect them from the others long enough that by the time they are weaned, they are accepted as members of the flock.
Sorry for the delay in answering but I was in the hospital all week.
Thank you so much for your reply. I'm sorry to hear you were in the hospital. I hope all is well. I am still having some trouble with Momma hen getting along well with my aggessor but shes doing a great job steering clear of her. Momma hen turned really aggressive towards the babies. Beyond what I felt was weening them. She would seek the out and attack them so even if they were far away from her, if she saw them, she would run over and attack them. She definitely picked ones out of the group to be more aggressive towards

Perhaps she'll be more tolerant if the bully is gone for a while. I'd remove that bird for a whole week - or more. The idea is to make the aggressive bird less comfortable and like a new bird.
Thank you I will definitely seperate her longer. 🤞

Back
Top Bottom