Introducing my 4 Buff Orpingtons -- and Oddball!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SkyWarrior, Jun 29, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Here are the BOs I picked up today, along with an oddball chick that was supposed to be a partridge rock, but was different. The breeder suspected it was a PR crossed with an EE. What do you think?

Also, what age would you put these guys at? The ad said 7 weeks, but they look younger to me.

The Buff Orpingtons:

[​IMG]

Oddball:

[​IMG]

The BOs and Oddball:

[​IMG]

2. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    They are so sweet!!!!

3. KatieV

KatieV Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    So cute! Sorry, can't help with the breed - still waiting on my first set of chicks to come. [​IMG]

4. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I'm no help either, just wanted to say they are cuties!

5. serena763

serena763 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Super cute!! THey look younger than 7 weeks..but I'm a newbie so who knows?!

6. erin76

erin76 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Battle Ground, WA
    I have a BO that is 7 weeks, and she is fully feathered....I would say they are closer to 3-4 weeks...VERY cute though!!!

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I agree - 4 weeks, max.

8. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I say 3 max

9. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Hmm, the woman there no longer had them under brooder lights. I didn't put them under lights either and they weathered last night okay and we had a storm where it cooled down to 40F. [​IMG] Problem? They look really healthy and not cold in the least. They don't huddle, but they will sleep.

She seemed to think all her chicks were pullets. I was a little dubious of that because she only thought she had one roo among them. [​IMG] I picked chicks that looked pullet-like, looking at the feathers and lack of combs.

I think I'll pick up some chick feed at the feed store today. I gave them developer feed, which they ate okay, but maybe I'll switch them over to developer after going through a small bag of starter.

I really wasn't in the mood to start the brooder all over again. Right now, I have them in a large dog crate because they're too small to put with my older chicks. They're eating, scratching and drinking fine -- acting very much like happy little chicks. [​IMG]

10. GAGE

GAGE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    GA
    My 4 are three and 1/2 weeks old and look just like yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by