Introducing my baby chicks to year old flock

Here's a good thread started by @aart on integrating. I brood in my coop and integrate at 3 - 4 weeks old and have very few problems. Early integration is easier than trying later IMO.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/integrating-chicks-into-flock-at-4-weeks-old.1159151/

3.5 week old chicks integrating.
View attachment 1737575

Brooder gone and roosting on their own lower roost at 4.5 weeks.
View attachment 1737579

Nice coop. My coop isn't one I can walk into. The coop is big, but I can't put their brooder cage in it. The run is a lot bigger, which is what I was thinking. I'm thinking about putting the cage in the run to introduce, but I live in the mountains and it is still a little too cold to put them out yet. They haven't gotten all the feathers yet.
Thanks

We just added 3 new ones to the outside run/coop a couple of weeks ago at about 5 weeks old, I could tell they were getting quite bored with the brooder box in my garage and needed to be lil chickens. With suggestions from others on this site I built a very primitive "see but no touch" area in our covered run for our little ones. First week they only had access to this small area, after about a week I raised it enough for the chicks to fit through but not the adults. I supervised a few outings and realized the little one's were fast enough and smart enough to run for their lives if need be LOL. They loved running back and forth. I made a few hiding places in our open run for them to seek safety from the girls. Now they have free range of the entire run but still have their safety net area. It's working quite nicely!!!! I give all credit to the wonderful people on this web site. Next step is full integration but for now I think I'll keep this up as long as I can before the little girls are too big.
IMG_9058.jpg
IMG_9059.jpg
IMG_9060.jpg
IMG_9057.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9057.jpg
    IMG_9057.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
We just added 3 new ones to the outside run/coop a couple of weeks ago at about 5 weeks old, I could tell they were getting quite bored with the brooder box in my garage and needed to be lil chickens. With suggestions from others on this site I built a very primitive "see but no touch" area in our covered run for our little ones. First week they only had access to this small area, after about a week I raised it enough for the chicks to fit through but not the adults. I supervised a few outings and realized the little one's were fast enough and smart enough to run for their lives if need be LOL. They loved running back and forth. I made a few hiding places in our open run for them to seek safety from the girls. Now they have free range of the entire run but still have their safety net area. It's working quite nicely!!!! I give all credit to the wonderful people on this web site. Next step is full integration but for now I think I'll keep this up as long as I can before the little girls are too big. View attachment 1741387 View attachment 1741388 View attachment 1741389 View attachment 1741391

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing. Think this is what I will do also. My 3 chicks are 5 was but I live in mountains. We are having 60-65 degree weather, but 40s this weekend. So think I'm going to wait til next week to try putting them out. Thanks again for the ideas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/introducing-the-chicks.1236190/

This was my own integration journey. I followed much of the advice from the people you have received info from thus far.

I did have one chick get ripped up pretty good at one point, but found that as long as they stayed out of the big ones way, all was well. It was when they got into personal space it became an issue.

Once they are about the same size I transplanted them into the main coop. There were some pecks and jostling but they eventually work their stuff out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/introducing-the-chicks.1236190/

This was my own integration journey. I followed much of the advice from the people you have received info from thus far.

I did have one chick get ripped up pretty good at one point, but found that as long as they stayed out of the big ones way, all was well. It was when they got into personal space it became an issue.

Once they are about the same size I transplanted them into the main coop. There were some pecks and jostling but they eventually work their stuff out.

Thanks for info. I'm planning on separating the coop and run, until they are ready to lay. That way neither group and eat the wrong feed. Cause the new ones can't have the laying feed and I don't want to mess my older flock up by them eating the grower feed. I hope this works. Cause that will give them plenty of time to get use to each other, fingers crossed.

I'm planning on separating the coop and run, until they are ready to lay. That way neither group and eat the wrong feed. Cause the new ones can't have the laying feed and I don't want to mess my older flock up by them eating the grower feed. I hope this works. Cause that will give them plenty of time to get use to each other, fingers crossed.
Easier to just feed an 'all flock' type feed and have oyster shell in a separate container for layers...then integrate chicks young.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

The way you integrate young chicks with full grown birds partly depends on how many older birds you have. If it's a small flock of adults, and a small flock of youngsters, you can use the dog crate inside the coop method ( if chicks are fully feathered and it's not cold weather) Observe the older birds reactions to the chicks. The more older birds you have, the more you will have to observe, as some will not bother the babies, one or two may resent the intrusion and get really bossy about pecking order. I have 11 adults and will be introducing 19 younger birds. I will be making a separate coop and outside run with the run facing and attached to the older birds run. They can see each other and interact somewhat but no babies are harmed. Enough time goes by, younger birds accepted and we see how they do when they are allowed the same space. Last year I introduced 2 new birds at about 12 weeks and two of my older birds literally attacked with intent to do bodily harm. I had to keep those two separate til they were completely the size of the other adults. Personality and pecking order plays a big part in success, but I always caution on the side of safety.

Last year I introduced 2 new birds at about 12 weeks and two of my older birds literally attacked with intent to do bodily harm.
BTDT...not fun.
Integrating chicks(4-6wo) is much easier, they are not a 'threat' to the older birds...
....and they are fast little buggers, hard to catch.

Still need lots of space and follow the.....
Integration Basics:

It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Back
Top Bottom