introducing myself from fair oaks, californai

IroquoisEgg

Songster
9 Years
May 30, 2010
Fair Oaks, CA
Hello fellow chicken lovers! We just started our newest venture-raising backyard chickens! We got them this past Saturday, May 29th. So far, 3 laying hens-an Easter Egger "jaime" an Rhode Island Red "Red" and a Black Star " Lucy" The EE and RIR have each blessed us with an egg, the EE has given 2 already! The Black Star has yet to lay one, but we are waiting! Also, 2 white leghorns "Melanie and Melinda" who are 8 weeks and attached at the hip basically. Hard to catch. The chicks are Barred rock "Galapagos" Or "Gal" for short and an Americauna named "Roberta" both of these were named by or kids! And a 4 week old RIR Americauna mix named "Betsy" They are so fun! Only problem is with our dogs-5 year old German Shorthair Pointer- yes, a bird dog... and an 8 year old Boston Terrier. They are okay when the chickens are in their coop, but we ae trying to do as much free range as possible and the dogs just bark and whine like crazy. So, we have been putting them in our bedroom while the girls are out, but of course, me the mother hen feels guilty about that, and then I feel guilty leaving the chickens cooped up for hours...any advice on how to handle this delicate situation. I am sure the dogs would kill the girls if they got to them while they are outside the coop.

Stay home mom of 2 perfect kids, haha, 4 yrs. and 2.5 yrs. old, 2 great dogs, one husband!, and now...8 chickens!!

welcome-byc.gif
from Washington

Congrats on the chickens

About the dogs- you will need to keep them seperate from the chickens. Can you divide the yard with a fence?

Good luck

Imp

welcome-byc.gif
from Modesto!!

It will be easiest if your dogs have at least some basic obedience training.
I'm big on "sit stays" and "down stays". Sometimes I let it go for a while and then I'm back at it.
I make the dogs help me feed and water at first, then we workon that down or sit stay when they are free ranging.
I have to yell "leave it" every once in a while too.
The dog stay right next to the coop either sitting or laying and they have to wait until I'm done. Then we do the next coop.
They pretty much leave them alone, but once in a while they think they have to get in the middleof a scuffle of chickens and I yell to "leave it" and they just kind of give me and the birds the eye, like they are real hurt they couldn't play.

There are a lot of people on here that can help you with any problem you can run into. Don't be a strange or too shy to ask.

Back
Top Bottom