Introducing myself

nchully

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2017
Hello BYC community. I have been lurking these pages for months getting lots of valuable information, but I felt it was time to introduce myself. I live in Oregon and I currently have 14 chickens. This past weekend I lost two, I am thinking to predators but not fully sure. My girls are free range but now are staying in the run until I find out what is going on. 8 of them are 13-15 weeks old and the other 6 are 8 weeks old. I have 7 different breeds I built them a fancy coop on my property and a decent sized run. I am loving these girls. They are absolutely hilarious. The various personalities is quite funny. I am looking forward to learning more from BYC in the future. I attached a photo of the front of my coop. Still waiting for a decent stretch of weather to get some actual paint on it. Guess I don't have any pictures of my girls only videos so I will share those later.

Attachments

• IMG_8056.JPG
    IMG_8056.JPG
    467.2 KB · Views: 5
You need some 1/2" hardware cloth covering the inside of your window openings, to keep predators from getting in. Do you have any ventilation grids below the roof, to allow air flow in winter?

I think your younger chicks are too young to free range. Before they get some street smarts - they'll end up as take out meals for predators. Please check out the predator threads to best learn how to safeguard your flock.

Once predators get an easy lunch, they will keep coming back until there is nothing left.

Thanks Drumstick Diva. I didn't put hardware cloth over the windows because they are within the secured run that has burried hardware cloth all around. They are only open on sunny days when the chickens are locked up in the run. They love to sit in the windows.

I agree about the younger ones and free ranging. I learned my lesson since losing two of the young ones. I have 5.5 acres that backs up to 40 acres of protected land that has lots of wildlife. The older hens are smart and stay close to the house near where I am working. The younger ones were ranging up near the property line. I am going to give them some more time to grow and learn before letting them back out. It is difficult though because the older hens have created a little flock and the younger ones have created their own, so it has kind of divided the property when they are out. Young up above and old down below. Maybe that will change once they get to similar size. Thanks for your input, I will check out the predator thread.

You need some 1/2" hardware cloth covering the inside of your window openings, to keep predators from getting in. Do you have any ventilation grids below the roof, to allow air flow in winter?

I think your younger chicks are too young to free range. Before they get some street smarts - they'll end up as take out meals for predators. Please check out the predator threads to best learn how to safeguard your flock.

Once predators get an easy lunch, they will keep coming back until there is nothing left.

Hi and welcome to BYC - great job on the coop. You have some good advice from D/Diva, so I'll just say hello.

Best wishes
CT

Howdy! Sorry you loss a few chickens. However, you have a nice coop!

Back
Top Bottom