Introducing myself

SheriM

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Hello, everyone. I just joined and thought I should introduce myself. My name is Sheri (obviously) and I raise goats in Saskatchewan, Canada. Less than a year ago, I was quite afraid of birds and wouldn't have considered owning a chicken if you paid me. Then a new friend of mine convinced me to get a few meat birds. She lives in town and couldn't keep them herself, but said if I could house them here, she'd look after them. Well, you can guess how that worked out. The good news is that, after having to care for the chickens and being dive-bombed by the pigeons that moved into my barn's work room, I'm no longer afraid of birds and have discovered that, much to my surprise, I LIKE chickens. Even more surprisingly, my husband likes them too...well, he likes the fresh eggs anyway. (Yes, if left to mature, cornish X WILL lay, and quite well too...just one of many lessons learned.)
The meat birds have long since gone where meat birds go, but we are considering getting some laying hens this spring. Another friend of mine has Isa Brown and I quite like the look of them, so that's probably what we'll go for. I really like the buff colored birds, so I'm thinking of getting a few buff orpingtons along with the layers, as they are available at our local hatchery.
I have a ton of questions, and will post them in the appropriate places, but I just wanted to say hello. This seems to be a great place to feed my animal addiction.
smile.png

sherri, Welcome to BYC
We have a great group here and I am sure you will
get your questions answered.. We all learn from each other.
glad you come ..
sissy

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
. Glad to hear you have overcome your fear of birds. Chickens are great for therapy. When I am stressed or just not feeling well...I can sit and watch mine for hours! Glad you decided to join BYC. This is a great family of chicken lovers, and there are many knowledgeable people on here!

Back
Top Bottom