Introducing myself

Dans Magoo

Chirping
May 14, 2022
My hubby and I are missionaries in Zambia. We live in a very rural and remote area along the Angolan border. We are fairly new to chickens and very excited to have these fascinating little creatures part of our home.
We have 13 chickens and one rooster currently, we have built a lovely big pen for them with a large outdoor section and a roosting box.
We have many predictors here, pythons, martial eagles, hyena, jackle so they need to be confined to a fully fenced area with mesh on the top too.
A bit unsure as to what breeds we have, think the one is a redbro?
We love to garden and have quite a substantial veggie garden.
We have been looking at getting chickens for a while so been following your posts ex for advise and ideas. Now they have finally arrived ((poor things had to endure a 10 hour drive in a vehicle over bumpy non existent roads as that’s our closest town)
Looking forward to this new hobby.

My hubby and I are missionaries in Zambia. We live in a very rural and remote area along the Angolan border. We are fairly new to chickens and very excited to have these fascinating little creatures part of our home.
We have 13 chickens and one rooster currently, we have built a lovely big pen for them with a large outdoor section and a roosting box.
We have many predictors here, pythons, martial eagles, hyena, jackle so they need to be confined to a fully fenced area with mesh on the top too.
A bit unsure as to what breeds we have, think the one is a redbro?
We love to garden and have quite a substantial veggie garden.
We have been looking at getting chickens for a while so been following your posts ex for advise and ideas. Now they have finally arrived ((poor things had to endure a 10 hour drive in a vehicle over bumpy non existent roads as that’s our closest town)
Looking forward to this new hobby.
Welcome!! If you want to post pictures, I’m sure a lot of people here could figure out what breeds you guys have!

Here is a pic of my gang… Ringo and his girls. If anyone can identify the breed?
19204D0C-DB98-4153-A869-51A0209598EC.jpeg

Attachments

• E75B3B32-D74B-4E01-B5C9-6106C0D20D0F.jpeg
    E75B3B32-D74B-4E01-B5C9-6106C0D20D0F.jpeg
    656.1 KB · Views: 2
Wow! I thought I had some tough predators to deal with, but you have some scary critters!

I think I recognize a few of your chickens' breeds, but I will let folks who are much more expert weigh in -- so you will get a correct answer. BTW, Ringo is a handsome boy, and you a lovely, diverse flock.

Welcome to BYC!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Wow. 10 miles to the nearest town. That IS remote!
Do you get amprolium when you got the flock? There is a fairly good chance they could contract coccidiosis at their new home as they have not built up immunity to the local strains. It would be good to have amprolium on hand just in case.

Back
Top Bottom