Introducing New Birds To Flock- Please Help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Fuzzypea, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Fuzzypea

Fuzzypea Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Hola everyone! [​IMG]

I have 2 porcelain pullets that are just about ready to move out to the coop with my 5 bigger hens. They are very delicate and are only about a quarter the size of all my other birds, so I am very worried that they won't survive the first night. [​IMG] I tried slowly introducing them today, and everything was going fine, until I turned my back, and my cochin rooster started attacking the porcelains... [​IMG]

Does anybody know how to safely introduce new birds to a flock?

Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. Jkioneil

Jkioneil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I think slow intergration is important. put them in a crate or cage inside the pen for at least a week so they can not get hurt but get a little more used to each other. then another week if you can in an area that is neutral a differet part of the yard if possible if ot then sart letting them out and DO NOT TURN YOUR BACK for at least a week but more if you can. Finally late at night after all this time slip them in the coop when the ladies are alseep and go out at first light to let them all out. It is best to wait until they are as close to the big hens size as possible. the smaller the less chance they have of being safe. if you have them out together and it can not be in a neutral spot in the yard make sure they have places they can run, get away and hide from them. Again let them grow bigger first otherwise you are kinda asking for trouble. that is my advice. i am in the midst of a second intergration process. the first is what i did above ad it worked great. At this time my 2nd intergration is at the stage where they are out in the main yard together free ranging but the little ones are keeping their distance they are 7 weeks i will be moving them into coop in a few more weeks.

good luck:)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Divide your coop, or give them some way to get used to each other through wire for several weeks. Then put them together at night and keep a close eye on them. There will be bullying, chasing, pecking, while they adjust to their new order. Leave them be unless there's blood.

Buff Hooligans has integration tips on his page.

4. Fuzzypea

Fuzzypea Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Okay, thanks for the advice everyone! I will try your techniques and see if they work. [​IMG]

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Make sure you run is an obstacle course when you put them together. Give the little ones lots of stuff to duck behind or dodge thru, but nothing that makes a corner where they will be trapped. Nothign you do will make it easy or violence free, but you can make it easier on all involved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by