introducing new chick to other chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickadeedoodah, Apr 9, 2008.

1. chickadeedoodah

chickadeedoodah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    littleton co
    Hi,
    I have 4 chicks that we got from McMurray Hatcheries (through our local feed store). 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Araucanas. We brought them home on Sunday so have had them about 4 days now. Here in the Denver we had a hard time getting chicks. We searched for over a month and when they finally arrived it was crazy. We waited at the feed store for 2 hours along with about 30 other people. Anyway we now have the opportunity to get one more newly hatched chick, a Black Australorp. My questions -

Could I put the new chick with the 4 chicks that are already in the brooder?
    What about the temperature? Would you make it hotter for the new one or just leave as is and hope it adjusts?
    Would I be risking the health of the chicks already here?
    Would they accept the new chick or might they pick on it? The two separate breeds appear to kind of stick together at this point, and the new chick would be "odd one out".

We are new to chickens and I don't want to mess up what appears to be good start and don't want to have to raise one little gal by herself! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this info has already been addressed in the posts. I was not able to find it.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You can put chicks under a month or so together with no problem as long as they all have their feet and you keep temps warm for the youngin and enough space for the others to get away from heat. Congrats on the new babies!

3. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    Hi chickadeedoodah I'm sorry to hijack but I have a related question:

I have 13 that are about 6 weeks old and 3 more that are about 4 weeks old. There is a pretty significant size difference but I'd love to combine the groups when the younger set have all their feathers. Any advice on that situation?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by