Introducing new chickens into a flock question

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
I want to add several chickens to my laying flock this year. Question is, would it be better to introduce them one at a time or all at once?

I'm tuning into this answer also because I will need to do it myself in about 2 months when my new chickies have to move outside.

Lets hear all those words of wisdom from the experienced BYC's.

Jayare

That's an easy one! Just ask yourself, Would I like to go through the process of watching my chickens establishing a new "pecking order" just once or several times over?" It would be far better to let them hash it out just once.

Actually, the only way to introduce new chickens to the flock is introduction with seperation. This can be simple chicken wire keeping the newbies seperate with their own feed and water, while the existing flock can get use to them being around. Pecking order in the chicken world is real, and can be a killing event in some cases (not worth the risk in my opinion). The existing flock thinks it's their water, their roost, their feed, etc... Introduce your new ones, easy does it, and save yourself alot of grief.

bigzio

I do it the same way...either with a pen inside the pen, or side by side pens with only wire between them. There is still some pecking order that goes on, but nothing like what would go on if you just put them in sight unseen.

Back
Top Bottom