Introducing New Chickens to Guineas

Jackie FL

Chirping
May 20, 2017
Fox got into bird yard in middle of day and killed our 6 hens. Our 4 Guineas (that were raised with the hens) were spared. Now working on fox proofing. Thinking about getting new chickens (not positive yet). How would I introduce new hens to the Guineas? I would get pullets or maybe older chickens but afraid that the Guineas may not accept them. Any suggestions welcomed.

You need to do an isolation period anyways (make sure no one is sick from the new birds) so that starts with a no see, no touch, no even breathing the same air for several weeks (some people say minimum of 4 and I’m more on team 2.5-3 weeks) then I do AT LEAST 2 weeks on the no touch pens - so they can see each other but can’t fight or ya know… try to kill each other. THEN I do supervised range together while I sit with everyone for about 30-45 minutes prior to bed time until they are all ready to coop together (mostly) peacefully.

I do this when adding new guineas, new chickens, no matter the species.

Thank you for all the information, it's very helpful. Right now i'm not sure what I am going to do. The loss of my girls is overwhelming to me. My 4 Guineas are not the same (missing their flock mates?) i'm hoping they will be back to themselves in a few days. Again many thanks.

Thank you for all the information, it's very helpful. Right now i'm not sure what I am going to do. The loss of my girls is overwhelming to me. My 4 Guineas are not the same (missing their flock mates?) i'm hoping they will be back to themselves in a few days. Again many thanks.
They may do better with birds if their own kind. Guineas are flock animals and like bigger numbers.

Back
Top Bottom