Introducing new chickens to the flock

Hi I saw this post about integrating new chickens to a flock and I too am looking for some input on this topic. We currently have 3 chickens who are about 6 months old. When we got them they were 2 weeks old and we didn't know the sex or breed. Now we know one is a Red sex link, she is laying eggs now too. Another is a hen who is some type of Yokohama mix. The third one is a Silkie, but we don't know the sex. We are getting one egg a day from the Sex Link, and she is a sweetheart. The Yokohama is considered an ornamental bird. Her eggs are small and inconsistent. And when/if the Silkie lays we can't count on her for providing us with our egg needs. Our coop could hold one more chicken. but I wouldn't think it could hold more than that. Our options are to split up the flock (which I don't want to do b/c they are a little family) Or introducing one more egg producing chicken. So, if we choose to introduce one more chicken (which I am sure is not ideal b/c it will be the only one) Is it better to get it around the same age as the other chickens? Or as a chick and raise it by hand like we did the others? I am thinking introducing a smaller chicken may set it up to get picked on :(
Thanks for any input :)

This is great!! Thank you! When you partitioned off the coop, did you put them in at night and let them out in the morning?? I tried to upload a picture of the coop/run but of course, It won't working!
I did for a time, had 2 groups(had a safe room for the smaller group within the partition) that I put out into separate day pens until I got the partition run done and the smaller ones had gotten big enough to mingle.

Hi I saw this post about integrating new chickens to a flock and I too am looking for some input on this topic. We currently have 3 chickens who are about 6 months old. When we got them they were 2 weeks old and we didn't know the sex or breed. Now we know one is a Red sex link, she is laying eggs now too. Another is a hen who is some type of Yokohama mix. The third one is a Silkie, but we don't know the sex. We are getting one egg a day from the Sex Link, and she is a sweetheart. The Yokohama is considered an ornamental bird. Her eggs are small and inconsistent. And when/if the Silkie lays we can't count on her for providing us with our egg needs. Our coop could hold one more chicken. but I wouldn't think it could hold more than that. Our options are to split up the flock (which I don't want to do b/c they are a little family) Or introducing one more egg producing chicken. So, if we choose to introduce one more chicken (which I am sure is not ideal b/c it will be the only one) Is it better to get it around the same age as the other chickens? Or as a chick and raise it by hand like we did the others? I am thinking introducing a smaller chicken may set it up to get picked on :(
Thanks for any input :)
It's probably best to start a new thread with your questions so as not to crowd out the OP's issues/solutions.

i started out with 4 hens, we added two roosters, and then the city found a hen running loose and I ended up with her. none of my flock will accept her. they attack her.

Yesterday I received two new adult Rhode Island Red hens, and am trying to get my flock of three to accept them. But instead of welcoming them they are fighting and I have to keep them separated. I know that they have to create a new pecking order but I don't want my newer chickens or my flock getting injured. Any suggestions to make their transition fast and painless?? Also how long will I have to keep them separated?

BunnyLover44

Yesterday I received two new adult Rhode Island Red hens, and am trying to get my flock of three to accept them. But instead of welcoming them they are fighting and I have to keep them separated. I know that they have to create a new pecking order but I don't want my newer chickens or my flock getting injured. Any suggestions to make their transition fast and painless?? Also how long will I have to keep them separated?

BunnyLover44

Your best bet will be to partition off the run into two separate areas. Put the new hens in one and leave the existing hens in the other section. Let them see each other for a week or two and then let them roam together, keep an eye on them still though. At night take the new hens and place them on the roost with the others and then remove them in the morning. If they are allowed to roost together they'll be more likely to be friendly in the morning.

I made the mistake of just throwing a bunch of chickens in together and now have two that are full time separated from the others due to pecking and severe bullying.

Back
Top Bottom