Introducing New Chickens

jaclynn_chan

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2023
Good morning! We have 2 new girls we're introducing to our older easter eggers and I'm not sure how to proceed. The new girls are 8 weeks old and the older girls are 5 months. We have the young girls in their own little area with their own food/water/"coop" with a doorway where they can go into the big run with the older girls if they want, or escape if they're getting pecked. They've been this way for about 12 days now and I'm wondering if I need to just take away their little "safe haven" and force them to all live together or if I should keep it as is. Really only one of the older hens is being a jerk (the lowest one in the pecking order with the older hens) pecking them every time they come out but not drawing blood.

Should I leave it as is until they're getting along better or let them sort it out? Thanks for your help!
PXL_20230524_215239593.MP.jpg

as long as they aren't drawing blood they'll be fine. there's going to be some pecking. if you want to make sure leave them for another week the way you are. but you will eventually have to take the safe haven away

Back
Top Bottom