Introducing New Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenGeorge, Apr 13, 2007.

1. ChickenGeorge

ChickenGeorge Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2007
    I found a lady who needs to sell 9 year and a half old RIR. I am going to get them tomorrow. That gives me 21 laying hens, and 25 that are two weeks old. My question is is there any thing I need to do special to introduce them to one another?

2. chickens^^

chickens^^ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    West Virginia
    Well if they are the same breed then no you don't. They should get along just find. They might peck at each other at first but that is ok.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Keep your new hens away from your current hens for at least three weeks to be sure the new hens don't have anything that can pass to your current hens (incubation period).
    From there, see if there is a way you can seperate the two groups but keep them close enough to see each other. What I do is put the new group in a chicken tractor in the run of the other group. That way, they can get used to each other without being able to fight.
    It is very stressful to them when you add new members because they have to hash out a new pecking order. Introducing them with a barrier before you let them all together is the least stressful way.

4. ChickenGeorge

ChickenGeorge Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2007
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Well forget the RIR, I called the lady back Saturday morning to get directions, she had told me she was going to be out Friday evening, well she said a lady stopped by Friday evening, and bought them all. I said mam I thought we had a deal, all she said was I am sorry.

Anyway, I called the man I bought my other ones from and went and got 6 more Dominques, 2 more Black Giants, and a red one that I don't know what it is.

5. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Quote:Spoken like a true chicken addict!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by