Introducing New Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CherryChick, May 16, 2011.

1. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    I have 8 Barred Plymoth Rock Chickens( 2 roos, 6 pullets) They are about 8-9weeks old. Last weekend was their first time out in their new coop we built. [​IMG] I also have 9 amerucanas/Easter Eggers ( not sure the sex of them yet pretty sure it is 4-5 roos and the rest pullets) They are about 5-6 weeks old. They have most of their feathers but definatley not as big as the others.
    Well It was so beautiful outside in the high 80's we decided that we want to put them out in the coop with the rest of the chickens the next day. So the night before we put the cages together so they could see each other just to get kinda familiarly. All went good they were all very curious. So the next day we put them out in the coop with the older ones well for a while it was ok. But later on we saw that they were chasing the younger ones around and pecking them on the head or feathers. So we took them out before it could get too bad.
    So my question is when is the right time to put them together? Should I wait will they are about the same size because right now the older ones are about 1-1.5 the size of the little ones. Is there a special way that I can introduce them to each other to discourage pecking. Or is this something they just need to peck out?

2. tigerted

tigerted New Egg

May 12, 2011
    We have the same problem. What is the correct way or time to introduce new hens that are now 3 months old into the exhisting flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by