Introducing New Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RedneckRebel, Oct 28, 2013.

1. RedneckRebel

RedneckRebel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Eastern Kentucky
    I have been thinking about introducing some new chickens to my flock. I know that chickens "territorial" having alpha males and females. Any ideas of how I should introduce them?

2. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are they all? What sex? Do you have any really dominant hens or aggression issues? This makes a bit of a difference. I will tell you what I did. Some swear by this technique and others say it doesn't work. I had 2 new hens to introduce to an established flock. No roosters. All about the same age. (1-2 years old.) I did the "sleep and Sneak". You wait until your hens are asleep for the night and then quietly slip the new hens onto the roost. (This is after having quarantined your new additions for several weeks to avoid introducing new diseases). In the morning the hens look at each other and think.. "well, I don't really remember you, but since we spent the night together, you must be OK." For me, it significantly reduced the "pecking order" time. Some mild issues but not bad at all.

3. RedneckRebel

RedneckRebel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Eastern Kentucky
    I have 10 chickens in all. 3 roosters and 7 hens, they are all around 6 months to a year old. I have one very dominate hen. I plan on introducing 2-3 hens of the same age

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by