Introducing new chicks-3 weeks and 5 weeks-help!

secretinternets

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
I have three 3-week old chicks (black silkie, buff silkie,and plymouth rock) and just got a 5-week chick (rhode island red) to replace an Ameraucana chick that recently passed away. My husband and I tried to introduce the 5-week old chick to the current flock, but she kept trying to peck the younger birds' feet. We realize that this may be just what happens, but we're worried that the 5-week chick will hurt the others because she's so much bigger. Is this normal? Does anyone have advice to how we can introduce them?

We currently have the 5-week chick in a separate box but I can tell she'd like to be with the others!

Thanks!

I have read that you should let them see each other during the day through a see through barrier and then at night when they are asleep put the other chick in with the rest of them. In the morning they all should be fine there will be some pecking, to re-establish the pecking order.

keep them with in eye sight of each other for a few days...I put my newbies in a cage and put them in the older chickens run, with food and water and shade. then put them together after that, they will still be put in the pecking order but no fighting.
fl.gif

Thanks for the recommendations. We've grabbed some wire so we will put them all together tomorrow but separated and see how they do.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom