Introducing new chicks/removing rooster (bff)!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by UglyYellow, Sep 20, 2011.

1. UglyYellow

UglyYellow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    So, I'm new to this....I live in the city and am trying to figure out the least painful way to integrate my new baby chicks and remove my illegal rooster.

I have two 3 month old Chickens - a female Silkie (Mimolette) and her BFF an Easter Egger Roo (with a mighty crow). They run to each other if they get too far apart - it's ridiculous. I also now have 6 one day old silkie chicks.

I am lining up a lovely new home for my little Rooster in the country...but really need to know the best way/time to introduce everyone. I'm so worried about Mimolette! The chicks are inside. The other two have a large fully in-closed pen (with coop) that they are in during the day. They get to roam the yard evenings and weekends...when we can keep an eye on them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you in advance for any advice!!!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Chickens are not like humans - they sort of just go with the flow of things. In other words, your hen will probably just go on as normal once your rooster disappears. The only thing that might upset her is if she is alone once the rooster is gone, but if you have any other birds she can be around or if you introduce your new ones she will be fine.

3. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I just wanted to comment, what lovely batch of babies!

Deb

4. UglyYellow

UglyYellow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    Thanks!

Update: My Rooster has found a nice new home! Mimolette is really lonely, but I gave her a nice big sweater to cuddle with at night...and we are giving her so much attention and holding her in the mornings and evenings. It kinda turned her into the pet I always wanted.

We made a big play pen for her and the chicks but once we put her in she was really only concerned with eating. I bet she will like them once they are older!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by