Introducing new chicks to chicks I already had what is the best way

Jbt-1991

Chirping
Apr 9, 2018
North Carolina
Hello.
I have 4 chicks I had bought at tractor supply at the end of March and I had received 2 more from a "friend" and im pretty sure they we bought from the same tractor supply at around the same time. The 2 new babies are smaller in size not really sure if it is there age or just the bread ( like i said pretty sure they were all bought around the same time). The 2 new chicks well let's say were not being take care of like i would not saying I'm the best but there is a standard they have been tortured by a young child and they are afraid of everything and I can feel them shaking when I pick them up. I wasn't sure about the health so I left them separate form the others it's been about 3 days and they are fine other then being scared. Should I wait to put them together or what? 1523286496955390411050.jpg 1523286528025796462179.jpg 1523286496955390411050.jpg 1523286528025796462179.jpg

You may need to separate them with a Fence if you see too much pecking, but otherwise I would combine them. The smaller ones may be bantams.

I would try placing one of your more timid chicks with the 2 new chicks for a supervised play date. See how that goes, then add an other one. Rotate all of your larger chicks into "play dates" with the newbies one or two at a time, while you watch reactions. After all is well, remove the divider. You can help this adjustment by giving them treats while they have their play dates. Scrambled egg and a plug of sod would be good distractions.

I would try placing one of your more timid chicks with the 2 new chicks for a supervised play date. See how that goes, then add an other one. Rotate all of your larger chicks into "play dates" with the newbies one or two at a time, while you watch reactions. After all is well, remove the divider. You can help this adjustment by giving them treats while they have their play dates. Scrambled egg and a plug of sod would be good distractions.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom