Introducing new chicks to ONE hen.

the chicks are in the coop for a few days now. Hen definitely has some desire to dominate them...by clucking after them. Im not sure shes pecking at them...ive made all kinds of little escape spots by pruning my lavender bush and using the big buses to create little hiding places. im keeping a close watch and worry a little about hens desire to chase them...she also sits up on her favorite branch and just watches them as they peck around below......

Hi there, a couple of nights ago, i brought my hen in to the chicks....put some chick food in my hand (hens love chick food), opened up the chick cage, held the hen right at the opening and held my hand in between the chicks and the hen...they all happily ate together. same thing last night....
Today, she just hopped right on in the cage and hung out with the crew (six 2 wk old chicks)...one chick pecked her, but the rest hopped up on her and they all really enjoyed eachother.....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f....181244760622.238774.754520622&type=3&theater
It seems your family is getting on wonderfully!

We've had a change in our situation. Poor lucky was attacked and killed by a stray dog. It happened so fast.
hmm.png
My daughter was quite upset, so being the brilliant woman I am, I acquired 2 hens from a friend. So now I get to introduce the 15 to 2.
roll.png
The babies are 2 weeks old now, growing SO fast! I'll begin introducing them to the big gals in a few days in the A-frame coop/run with a divider.

In the meantime, I've decided to keep them inside on our cat porch as long as I can stand it - probably only 2 more weeks. Then out to the coop for another 2 weeks before I put the big girls in there. Meanwhile I'm working on hidey places for the babies. I honestly think all will be quite well.

Thanks for posting your experience - and your adorable picture! Gives me great hope that things will go smoothly here.

You have such a great attitude! thanks for your story and so sorry about your hen. we've had that happen in our family too.....my daughter gave me her coop after many years because her dog ate her favorite chicken.....dang it. lots of healing since and ive become a chicken loving mom!
sorry to say, hen is trying to peck the little ones but ive made them some great places to be on thier own. I also let hen scratch out in the yard alot of the day so everybodys happy. (i keep the dogs in during that time hehe) my hope is that hen will calm down and see the benefits of having family....she does spend long periods of time sitting up on a roost and watching the chicks spread out.....lovely talking with you!
Mikaela

Hi! I don't have any experience with the one hen, well, now 2 issue, but I did introduce 4 chicks to 7 hens. I, too, had a new run/coop to go with the new chicks. So what I did was to put the chicks into the new run and then put the hens into the run so that I was hoping they would think that the chicks just come with the new space. Each time I would take the hens out first and the the babies. All went well. Maybe that can work for you as well! Good luck!

I got two new babies yesterday too, which will be joining my 3 ladies in a couple of months, however, after wrangling and rigging up the brooder box, hanging the light, taking the temperature, moving the light, changing the box, taking the temperature, moving the light, tripping over the cord.. I was really tempted to seize one of the big girls, sitck her in a small cage and stuff the babies under her..it seems like such a waste of chicken talent not to use a "real mom". Alas.. none of them have ever been the least bit broody and I was afraid the babies would die a horrible death. Anybody ever tried it?

Hi! I don't have any experience with the one hen, well, now 2 issue, but I did introduce 4 chicks to 7 hens. I, too, had a new run/coop to go with the new chicks. So what I did was to put the chicks into the new run and then put the hens into the run so that I was hoping they would think that the chicks just come with the new space. Each time I would take the hens out first and the the babies. All went well. Maybe that can work for you as well! Good luck!

Oooh, you just gave me an idea on the coop build! I can cut a smaller hole in the floor door that I'm putting in - just to let the babies into the smaller run under the coop - When the big girls are confined to the coop/run I can let them into the larger run with another very small opening to the smaller run - so the little ones can come and go. All of this temporary and regular openings cut as well for when they grow bigger - in a day or two! hahaha Geez, they grow fast!

Last edited:
I got two new babies yesterday too, which will be joining my 3 ladies in a couple of months, however, after wrangling and rigging up the brooder box, hanging the light, taking the temperature, moving the light, changing the box, taking the temperature, moving the light, tripping over the cord.. I was really tempted to seize one of the big girls, sitck her in a small cage and stuff the babies under her..it seems like such a waste of chicken talent not to use a "real mom". Alas.. none of them have ever been the least bit broody and I was afraid the babies would die a horrible death. Anybody ever tried it?

Hahha! You sound like me. I had them in a rubbermaid brooder for a whole week before they outgrew it, put them in a kennel in the garage - nope that didn't work for a myriad of reasons. So I temporarily evicted the cats from their palace, er - porch. The chics are doing great out there, and it's easy to go "play" with them. Nope, never tried it but wouldn't it be sooo nice!! hahaha

Okay, finally following up on this. We have been very successful with our introductions - tho the big girls would argue that!

At 7 weeks I put the babies in the new coop. I kept the big girls in their little tractor, letting them out in the morning and of course shutting them in at night. I let the babies out into the run where the big girls could see them. The big girls were NOT happy to meet them! hahaha At 10 weeks I began letting the little girls out and about to free range. They stayed very close to the coop. The big girls would come by now and then to squawk and strut and generally fuss at the little girls. One of them tried to chase and peck - but I reprimanded. After a few times she just fusses now and walks away.

About 2 weeks ago the big girls decided the little girls' digs were better than theirs, so they began joining them in the evening. Well, one of them did, the other joined a week later - not wanting to be alone in the little tractor I suppose. The young girls put themselves to bed early, the big girls join them about 30 minutes later and "it" begins! For about 5 minutes all you-know-what breaks loose as the big girls take over... but it all settles down and they go to sleep.

We sold 7 of the 15 so our flock is now at 10, where we wanted it in the beginning.

The big girls are now using the nest box in the big coop and the little tractor coop has been set aside for broodies.

The flock isn't totally integrated. The older girls range separate from the young ones, and they take over when they come around - the young ones giving a wide berth to the older. One of the older ones yells a lot... (hahahah!!!) puffs herself up a lot - but all in all, everyone is healthy and adapting!

Oh, and Samson - our up and coming beautiful Roo - has been put in his place by the big girls - and THAT is a good thing. Mr. "Too-big-for-his-britches" met his match. Love it.

Not too bad for a noob chicken mommy! Woot!

I had a very similar thing happen to my hen. I started off with three to get my feet wet and I ended up with one after getting rid of the rooster and losing one to a neighborhood dog. I love my Hen. She is so sweet and has come to think of me and my two dogs as family. she follows us everywhere and will even jump on me and one of my goldens to sun herself. My golden will just ley there and let her do it.
love.gif

Anyways.... I got 9 chicks of all different kinds and it is about time that I introduce them. I was too scared to do it when the chicks were small so I have now waited until they are 8 weeks old. I am going to try and introduce them this weekend.
They have had brief encounters and my hen has plucked some feathers out of three of them. Luckily she doesn't pluck too many feathers and it is just enough for them to run from her. How long will she do this? I am so worried that she is going to be either bullied or the bully.
D.gif

can i bring this thread back to life? :)
i have three 5 week old chicks and am realising I have 2 roosters and 1 hen. the roosters will be rehomed in the next few weeks so ill have a lonely hen..
Is it easier with one hen? do i get some hens the same age or 1 week olds to hand raise?

Back
Top Bottom