introducing new chicks

wildflowers

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 23, 2008
Washington
I know this has been gone over like 5 thousand times. I know. But every post I have read was something along the lines of we have 8 hens and are introducing 3 more. My situation is a little different.

I have one hen, the only laying one right now who is a year? I am not sure really. I got her a month ago and intoed her to the 3 that are 20 weeks. That went without a problem.
I have 16 chicks that are 9 weeks right now. We are trying to figure out how to do this. I know to wait until they are closer to the same size. The 3 20 weekers and the chicks have met and not had a problem with each other. In mid Dec, before getting the older hen, everyone was in the garage has we got some bad weather. So I know that the 16 chicks and the 20 weekers get along just fine. BUT I am worried about the laying hen. She asserted herself a good bit to my 3 younger ones and there was a decent amount of feather plucking. It only lasted a couple of days but it makes me wonder how she would be with the youngens.

So right now in our new coop the 16 chicks are in there. There is a way to separate a part off, but that part isn't covered with a roof, just welded wire. So they wouldn't have shelter. I am sure we could make a temp roost, and maybe a temp roof. Just wondering if we should put them so they can see each other for a few days or just sneak in the 4 older ones in the middle of the night. It is the chicks territory plus they outnumber 4 to 1.
Sorry this is so long, we have been thinking of this and reading about this so much we are kinda
barnie.gif
over the whole thing

Put them in the seperate part if it is next to the hen, and if you have an old rabbit hutch or something, they are only little right? as for shading like you said, if you are really concearnd go an get a old sheet or something from the op-shop or wherever and stretch it over the top. Rabbit hutchess will be fine we did the same to mine until we built a propper coop.

Back
Top Bottom