introducing new chicks

canbee

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 3, 2008
I had 6 chicks now about 7 mo old and laying 2 were eaten by a predator. Got 2 babies now about 7-8 wks old all feathered out. I am trying to introduce the younger ones to the older ones. I understand they have to do the whole pecking order thing but how long? I am afraid the little ones will be killed. I put the little ones in last night and today one has a bloody wing. Should I take them out or is the worst over? Thanks

Last edited:
They should be seperate but visible to each other until they get to know each other. Once they are used to each other, THEN put them together and the pecking order humdrum begins.

I am going through the same thing with 4 four month olds (one is a roo) and 2 ten week olds. I have been letting them check each other out through their pens while one group freeranges around the other (i.e. pen up the little ones and let the big ones come around and bawk at them or visa versa). The last few days I have been closely monitering them loose in the yard together. For the most part they ignore each other. One of the older pullets sometimes comes and gives the younger ones a chase and some pecking. Today my roo finally approached the little ones and pinned the bigger and alpha of the two. I chased him off with a broom. I am wondering how much is normal pecking order stuff and when should I step in?
Sorry to jump in on your thread but I didn't want to post another with pretty much the same question.

Me too! 3 20-week White Leghorn pullets, and 6 5-week pullets of various breeds. I just moved the babies into their temporary coop and run, fenced off of the main run. I know they are too young to mix with the big girls for at least 3 weeks - but are they old enough to free range with them? They've spent quite a bit of time in their run during the days so the girls have seen them for awhile.

Thanks for the response. I have tried this a few times only to give in and take the little ones back in. I have let them peck through the pens. I brought the little ones back in to make sure they could eat and drink. I think I will put them back in a little while. I keep thinking I am intervening and makiing it worse.

Part of my thinks I should just let them figure it out but then this huge roo pins down this little pullet and it looks and sounds terrible!
Is there anyone who has gone through this that has some sage advice as to how much is too much "getting to know you" abuse?

Last edited:
I read a while back that younger ones need to be in a box/brooder until 4 weeks and then can be placed in a seperated area with the older ones. Then they should stay like that until 10-12 weeks. That is what we are doing, and the babies small coop is right next to where the older ones roost at night. My BO hen has decided she is their mother - she sleeps right against the chicken wire and the babies pile up as close to her as they can get. I watched a couple other hens come over and poke their beaks through and check them out. I am very hopeful that the instructions we were given are the right ones. All is going well so far....

Back
Top Bottom