Introducing new ducks

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I had an unbalanced flock of Muscovy's with 3 drakes and 5 females. Just made a trade so one of my drakes is going to a farm that has 12 females and 1 drake. I'm sure he will be happier there. I got 5 new females. They are currently in a separate small coop. I built a small temporary run for it so they can go out during the day. I'm thinking of keeping the flocks separate for about a week. They will be able to interact safely with a fence between. Then let them get together free-ranging and teaching the new ones to follow the others into the main coop at night. Does this sound like it will work? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds good to me, really all you want if for them to get used to each other without being able to touch, after a week or two you can set them out with each other and see how they do and, since ducks tend to fight at night it may be advised to separate them at night and leave them together during the day for a while before you permanently keep them penned up with each other.

When integrating new birds it wouldn't be a bad idea to have plenty of feed and water stations so they don't have to fight over feed/water. You'll have to post some pictures when you get them, best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom