Introducing new feed and grit

Scoot Dee

In the Brooder
May 24, 2017
Michigan
Just a quick question for everyone out there. When is a good time to start introducing feed other than starter feed. I have been told by chicken farmers that pullets should have starter until they start laying eggs. But then I have read places that have said giving them a little treat would be ok and when they start laying to give them other feed and cut out the starter feed. Also when would be a good time to start giving my pullets grit? They will be 6 weeks old tomorrow and I would like to start feeding them treats and training them to come when called, for when they free range. Any advice I get from here is always greatly appreciated.

I start mine out on hatch day plus 2. I bought a bag of builders sand from HD and put it in a second feeder. They eventually find it. Don't use play sand. It is too clean and uniform. The builders sand has sand plus small pebbles in it.

I'm a little different in my feed habits. I always have 22% starter available and calcium for the layers but I also throw several large handfuls of my own scratch equal parts corn, rolled oats and wheat in late afternoon. Plus teenagers gets most of table scraps from the house.

As far as grit for the adult birds I just buy a $3.00 bag of pea gravel from HD also. None of that overpriced granite grit.

They only get whole corn right before and during hunting season. I use corn chops otherwise. Also of they never had whole grains before you just can't slog a whole bunch in there. Got to start slowly and get their gizzard in shape first.

Back
Top Bottom