Introducing new Golden Pheasants

fancyham

Chirping
Mar 1, 2015
Woodland Hills, CA
Hello we have two three year old females and my husband brought home two males and one female that may be nine months old. I want to put them in the same cage but not sure how to do this so all remain safe. They are singing to each other now and the older females keep trying to attract the males, which are interested in them too. Any help on the safest way to introduce new birds is much appreciated. Thank you!

Hello we have two three year old females and my husband brought home two males and one female that may be nine months old. I want to put them in the same cage but not sure how to do this so all remain safe. They are singing to each other now and the older females keep trying to attract the males, which are interested in them too. Any help on the safest way to introduce new birds is much appreciated. Thank you!
Do you have all the new birds together in a look but no touch setting with the older ones? I would do that for first several days and then integrate under supervision and see how things go.

Do not put them in the pen with the others...a blood bath will happen. Two males in the same pen with hens will result in the death of one or both.

If you want to introduce the hens to the established pen, do so at night...it might work and again, it might not....it might work if you have a pen that would be 'new' to them all but that's even a toss up!
Males that are in an established pen, regard that pen as their territory and will defend it against intruders...even hen intruders. Sometimes hens will not accept either a new male or another female being introduced to 'their' pen.

Keep them in another pen if you have one available and keep the males separated in their own pen with 'their' hens.

Do not put them in the pen with the others...a blood bath will happen. Two males in the same pen with hens will result in the death of one or both.

If you want to introduce the hens to the established pen, do so at night...it might work and again, it might not....it might work if you have a pen that would be 'new' to them all but that's even a toss up!
Males that are in an established pen, regard that pen as their territory and will defend it against intruders...even hen intruders. Sometimes hens will not accept either a new male or another female being introduced to 'their' pen.

Keep them in another pen if you have one available and keep the males separated in their own pen with 'their' hens.
Thank you for your response.

My golden pen is 60x15 and I have lots of dead trees and bushes in there for them to hide in. When I introduce new birds I always do it at night and not had any issues. They will fight some here and there but I have enough cover where they can get away from each other.

Hello unfortunately we didn’t separate the males and one has been killed. The other male seems like he is going after the female. Will he kill her also? I am fearful of putting the new female with our other females because I don’t want another death.

Hello unfortunately we didn’t separate the males and one has been killed. The other male seems like he is going after the female. Will he kill her also? I am fearful of putting the new female with our other females because I don’t want another death.
Is he displaying or actually attacking her? I would just keep them seperated.

Actually the pheasant wasn’t killed. He is alive and well!

Back
Top Bottom