Introducing new goslings to gander

blefk

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 28, 2013
Southbury, CT
I have (or had) a trio of pilgrim geese that had been together since they were goslings several years ago. They were a tightly bonded little flock. Yesterday morning I found the two females dead in their pasture with only the gander remaining, and he looked to be in shock though I couldn't find any outwardly obvious injuries to him. Today he approached when I went down to check on him, but is still disinterested in food or attention. I have 10 foot fencing around the pasture, an apron around the whole perimeter, and their pop door is on a timer but every once in a great while something is able to breach our defenses. My question for everyone is, if my gander recovers I will need to find him new mates. If I purchase new goslings I can brood them inside, but how old must they be to be introduced to him? Do I need to keep them separated until they reach maturity? I do have a broody pen adjacent to the goose enclosure where they would be able to see each other but be kept apart. I'm thinking that, once past needing to be in the brooder, I could house them there until they are accustomed to each other. My heart is broken for my boy, as he appears to be grieving.

I'm sorry for your loss. It must be very hard on your gander to lose both. I'm sure he is in shock and grieving. Getting him goslings would be wonderful. So long as weather not too cold, you can introduce them immediately. If he is anything like my ganders, he will likely do a better job raising goslings than humans.

Back
Top Bottom